Season six of 'The League' shows promise

(Photo Courtesy of FX)
(Photo Courtesy of FX)

(Photo Courtesy of FX) (Photo Courtesy of FX)

The first episode of season six of "The League" aired on FXX on Wednesday, Sept. 3.

Even if you don’t understand or necessarily love football, this show is a must-see. It’s about five adult men and one woman living in Chicago who participate in a fantasy football league every year. Not only does the show focus on the football drama, it showcases the events occurring during their daily lives. It's the countless number of comical events that occur throughout it all that make the show worth watching.

Usually around the fifth or sixth season of a television series, the plot of the show starts to seem repetitive. There are a handful of shows that prove this wrong, and "The League" is definitely one of them.

Ted (Adam Brody), a guy who joined their league during the fifth season, dies at the beginning of the episode when he gets hit by a car. His last words were “Kevin is the new Andre.” This resonated with Kevin (Stephen Rannazzisi) on a different level, as he is the goofy husband of Jenny (Katie Aselton). Kevin is torn up because his wife beat him and everyone else and won the “Shiva,” a.k.a. first place, in the last league.

Jenny continues to rub it in all their faces that she won the Shiva through customized calendars, mugs and the new draft sheet that all show her with the trophy.

Andre (Paul Scheer), one of the main characters in the show, kept his style that can only be described as Kevin-Federline-meets-Prince. Through the past five seasons, Andre was the butt of every joke. This time, he's out to prove that he's started to become cool, calm and collected. Unfortunate for every other character on the show, it seems, because they can’t stand his newfound confidence.

Taco (Jonathan Lajoie), in his indigenous, carefree state, becomes a golf junkie.

When the guys and Jenny attend Ted’s funeral, they decide to do their draft in the same room that Ted’s casket is in because “he would have wanted it this way.”

After a series of ridiculous incidents involving Andre saving a life and Taco ending up in the coffin that’s getting buried, the league completes its draft.

If you wish to catch up and watch "The League," the entirety of the first five seasons are on Netflix.

The second episode of season six airs tonight at 10 p.m. on FXX.

Reach the reporter at danielle.kernkamp@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @danikernkamp

×