Tempe Police: Man tells security guard of his gang affiliation, threatens them

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 19-year-old Tempe man was arrested Aug. 18 on the 300 block of East Veterans Way on suspicion of gang intimidation and assault, according to a police report.The man and his friend were yelling at someone on the eighth floor of a building on Veterans Way when security guards asked them to leave, police reported.

The friend tried to punch one of the security guards, and in response, the security guard pushed him to the ground for his own safety, according to the report.

The man had tried to get his friend to leave the area when he saw him getting angry and turned to walk away, police reported. The friend swung at the security guards while the man had his back turned, and the man became afraid for his friend, according to the report. The man then began yelling, “I’m Bloods, I’m Bloods!” while gesturing and making fists at the security guards, police reported.

The security guards were scared for their safety because of what the man was saying to them, what he was doing and the color of clothes he was wearing, according to the report.

The man later told police someone on the eighth floor was pointing a laser at them, police reported.

He also explained he began yelling that he was part of a gang and making affiliated gestures because he was afraid for his friend and wanted the security guards to back off, according to the police report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

• An 18-year-old Tempe man was arrested Aug. 21 at the intersection of East Lemon Street and South Terrace Road on suspicion of criminal littering, resisting arrest, marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia possession use, according to a police report.The man was standing at the corner, when a police officer noticed him drop trash and not pick it up for several minutes, police reported.

When the officer attempted to talk to him about the littering, the man pulled away from the officer, according to the report.

The officer then took him to the ground, but the man kept pulling his hands away, even though the officer continued to say that he was under arrest, police reported.

The man later told police that he was afraid to speak with the officer because he had two plastic bottles filled with marijuana, a joint and cigar blunt wraps in his pocket at the time, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shelby Slade.

Reach the news editor at sgslade@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @shelbygslade

×