Tempe Police: Peeping Tom caught after several spying, assault incidents

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

A 20-year-old Mesa man was arrested Sept. 19 on the 100 block of West University Drive on suspicion of sexual abuse, burglary, disorderly conduct and three counts of criminal trespassing, according to a police report.

The man was arrested in the early morning at a Circle K on University Drive, after he was seen trespassing outside a residential complex on South Farmer Avenue hours before, police reported.

According to the report, a person who witnessed him trespassing on the property alerted police about his presence and gave them the description of his vehicle, which enabled officers to track the man to the nearby Circle K.

The man was connected with several other crimes after his arrest, police reported.

He was identified as the man who had trespassed on the same property days before, and he matched the description of a man who shined a flashlight into the window of another residence on Farmer Avenue on Sept. 1, according to the report.

According to the report, he was spying on a woman sleeping in the nude on Sept. 1, and he falsely identified himself as a City of Tempe security guard after the woman confronted him.

Based on the man’s behavior and physical description, the man was also matched to an unsolved break-in sexual assault case from late March, in which an 18-year-old woman was sexually assaulted while sleeping in her home on West Fifth Street in Tempe, police reported.

The woman woke up to the man touching her and called police after yelling and chasing him out of her house, according to the report.

According to the report, the man had allegedly entered her home through an unlocked front door and was playing out a sexual fantasy when she woke up.

Police reported that the man confessed to all crimes he was connected to.

He was transported to the Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 38-year-old Tempe man was arrested Sept. 18 on West Third Street on suspicion of marijuana possession, dangerous drug possession, narcotic drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia and failure to appear in court, according to a police report.

He was initially contacted by police after he was spotted running a red light while pedestrians were using the crosswalk, police reported.

Upon contacting him, a records check revealed that he was wanted by an outstanding City of Tempe warrant and he was arrested, according to the report.

Officers searched the man’s backpack after his arrest and found a variety of drugs that included usable quantities of marijuana, crystal meth and black tar heroin, said police.

Officers also found a portable scale and other drug paraphernalia in the backpack, police reported.

The man claimed ownership of all compromising material found in the backpack, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Megann Phillips.

Reach the reporter at megann.phillips@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @megannphillips

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×