Tempe's Udupi Cafe a reward for adventurous foodies

There are many Indian restaurants in the Valley, but what makes Udupi Cafe different is its focus on creating delicious Indian vegetarian and vegan food.

Finding substitutes for meat is not the easiest thing to do. The cooks at Udupi definitely did a good job.

Even without meat or dairy products, the food has very rich flavors and great textures. The chefs are generous with their spices to achieve the desirable taste that keeps its customers going back for more.

Although most dishes are vegan and gluten-free, not all of them are. Strict vegans will want to check with their server before ordering a particular dish.

Like many Indian restaurants in the Valley, Udupi has lunch buffets. Unlike the others, Udupi's menu features some pretty amazing flavors that most people have probably never tasted before.

One of the most popular dishes is dosai, thin rice crepes that come with different fillings. Fans of onions can't miss the onion masala dosai for $9.99. Udupi is generous with their ingredients, so you will be given more than enough onions.

If you like eggplant, go for the Baigan Bartha (eggplant, potatoes and onions mashed together and cooked with Indian spices), for only $10.99. This dish tastes better than it looks. It guarantees diners a different experience of eating eggplant and is full of rich flavors. The texture is well balanced.

An Indian dinner wouldn’t be complete without curry, and Udupi's are accompanied by a small serving of rice, pachadi (South Indian pickle) and pickles.

A soothing ambience accompanies the great food.

The restaurant is well lit with just the right amount of light to create a comfortable dining experience. It is a suitable place for families and friends to sit comfortably while enjoying the robust flavors.

The decorations are simple yet sophisticated. With a couple of paintings that hang elegantly on the walls, patrons are given a slight peek into the Indian culture.

All in all, the restaurant serves good food in a unique style that can only be understood by those adventurous enough to give it a try.

For more information, check out Udupi’s website at http://www.udupiaz.com.

Reach the reporter at jmoo1@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @moojuliet

×