A frightening venture

Viewer discretion advised for use of intense video footage, flashing lights and scary situations.

The arrival of Halloween is a bittersweet time of year.

This weekend we’ll hit play to our last horror film of the season, eat our final bits of fun-sized treats and step one last time into our ghoulish costumes.

But before we say goodbye to the spookiest time of the year, it’s important that we reflect on aspects that make this season great.

So, to do just this, I’ve created a list of the top haunted houses in Arizona. Watch the videos below for a sneak peak into these frightening attractions. 

Chambers of Fear Haunted House

Many tricks are pulled within Chambers of Fear. This haunted house, made up of three separate attractions, keeps people on their toes. Tricks of the light and awe-inspiring technological innovations make it easy to get scared.

Possibly the best part about Chambers of Fear, though, is the fact that the actors within it are relentless. You’ll want to check over your shoulder often to see what ghoulish creature is (still) following you.

More Information

Address: 11340 W Bell Rd, Surprise, AZ 85378

Dates & Hours of Operation: October 31November 1 7-12

Website: http://chambersoffear.com/

Sanctum of Horror

This house was born out of a love for Halloween. What started out as a home-run attraction, expanded two years ago into what is now Sanctum of Horror. Sanctum of Horror is a smaller haunted house, but its quality more than makes up for its size.

The storyline and actors create a genuine auspicious atmosphere.

The house is perfect for those who are hesitant to go through haunted houses. It’s just long enough so that the frightened can see what they’ve been missing and maybe even be inclined to go through again or venture out to other spooky houses.

More Information

Address: 2055 S Power Rd, Mesa, AZ 85209

Dates and Hours of Operation: October 31November 1 7-11

Website: http://www.sanctumofhorror.com/

Rob Zombie’s Great American Nightmare

This haunted house is perfect for those who like to pretend their life is one long movie. Even for those who don’t carry such fantasies, it’s (probably) equally a satisfying haunted house.

Rob Zombie’s Great American Nightmare brings to life characters from Rob Zombie’s movies within the three attractions. The experience begins with the Lords of Salem Total Black Out. This black out is an especially fun experience because, as its name slyly suggests, guests won’t be able to see anything. Finding your way out of the house could take a while.

After guests find their way out of the first haunt, they’ll traverse through Captain Spaulding's Clown School in 3D and The Devil's Rejects for even more dizzying adventures. The progression of this haunted house is what makes this attraction amazing; each haunted house seems better than the one before it.

More Information

Address:16601 N Pima Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260 Dates and Hours of Operation: October 31November 1 7-midnight

Website: http://frightened.com/index3.html#

Fear Farm

Some people claim to not be afraid of anything; Fear Farm will put the wise-talking hooligans to the test with its five different attractions.  From clowns, to chainsaw wielding maniacs, guests of the farm will surely find something to make their skin crawl. This is especially so considering the cornfield is an ever-omnipresent and dreary companion.

Fear Farm offers a great escape from the scares, though, with its nearby pumpkin nursery and delicious treats on site. Of course, the wandering creepy creatures bring one back to reality, specifically the ones wielding chainsaws.

More Information

Address: 2209 N 99th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85037

Dates and Hours of Operation: October 31November 1 7-midnight

November 2 7-10

Website: http://www.fearfarm.com/

13th Floor Haunted House

Thirteenth floors are generally reserved for ghosts, demons and bad auras, but the 13th Floor Haunted House allows the public a peek inside this hushed about place.

Within this haunted house is a slew of impressive technology that will bring one’s horrors of the 13th Floor to life. Helping blur the lines of reality and fiction are the actors who, one can only assume, have seen many 13th floors in their lifetimes.

It should be mentioned that the 13th Floor does an awesome job of keeping the spook-seeking crowds busy from beginning to end. While one is in line, there are dancers who put on an incredible show.

Go online to the 13th Floor’s website to learn about their “Blackout” nights for Halloween fun that goes beyond the 31st.

More Information

Address: 2814 W Bell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85053

Dates & Hours of Operation: October 31November 1 & 2

November 7 & 8

7-12 Fridays & Saturdays

7-10 Sundays

Website: http://www.13thflooraz.com/

Reach the reporter at gburnton@asu.edu or via Twitter @gretchenburnton.

×