After frustrating weekend, ASU soccer searches for spark

Junior forward Cali Farquharson moves the ball downfield against UCLA on Sept. 26. in Tempe. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Junior forward Cali Farquharson moves the ball downfield against UCLA on Sept. 26, 2014 in Tempe. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Junior forward Cali Farquharson moves the ball downfield against UCLA on Sept. 26, 2014 in Tempe. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

ASU concludes its three game road trip with a final stop in Los Angeles, to face USC.

The Sun Devils (8-2-4) come into the matchup with USC after a less-than-satisfactory weekend in the state of Washington. ASU lost to Washington 2-1, and forced Washington State to a scoreless tie in double overtime.

The heartbreaking loss against Washington marked the end of ASU’s nine-game, unbeaten streak.

“We wanted a win and so did they,” head coach Kevin Boyd said. “We ended up with a tie and a loss, and it’s not ideal, but these are good teams we are playing.”

Both of ASU’s top scorers, junior forward Cali Farquharson and freshman midfielder/forward Aly Moon, have been hindered by minor injuries, but are on the mend. Farquharson sustained an injury in ASU’s game against Oregon, but has played through the injury.

The Sun Devils aren't the only ones reeling from a loss. USC lost against No. 3 Stanford in their last outing, with Stanford scoring the only goal of the match. Stanford currently holds the number one ranking in shutout percentage, at .786, with 11 shutouts total this season.

The Trojans (8-4-2, 2-3-0) have managed to find success because of their experience.

USC's top scorers are all upperclassman. Senior midfielder Alex Quincey is USC’s biggest generator of goals, with nine thus far in the season. Junior midfielder Jamie Fink and junior forward Katie Johnson have five and four goals respectively.

In addition to being a scoring threat, Fink is a playmaker in open space, with three assists to her credit this season. She and junior forward/midfielder Tamara Mejia (five assists) are the team's primary offensive catalysts.

USC is currently ranked 14th in scoring offense according to the NCAA, registering 35 goals through 15 games, while ASU, who has a potent attack in its own right, has 31 goals through 14 games, good for 34th.

The Trojans beat the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson 3-0 to kick off their conference play.

The game against ASU marks the end of a five-game home stretch for the Trojans, as well as concluding a grueling three game road trip for the Sun Devils.

The Trojans may be looking forward to a trip away from McAlister Field, though: USC is 4-4 at home this season, while ASU is 3-2-1 in road games.

The Sun Devils play USC at 2 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 17 in Los Angeles.

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @MarcTSteiner

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×