ASU students drive campaign for establishment of all-vegan dining hall

A group of ASU students are rallying for the creation of a vegan dining hall. Current dining halls offer few options for vegans and vegetarians.Caption 2:
ASU dining halls offer a variety of foods but most contain meats. ASU students are rallying for the creation of an all-vegan dining hall that can cater to vegan and vegetarian students.

A group of ASU students are rallying for the creation of a vegan dining hall. Current dining halls offer few options for vegans and vegetarians.

Caption 2: ASU dining halls offer a variety of foods but most contain meats. ASU students are rallying for the creation of an all-vegan dining hall that can cater to vegan and vegetarian students.

A group of ASU students are rallying for the creation of a vegan dining hall. Current dining halls offer few options for vegans and vegetarians. Caption 2: ASU dining halls offer a variety of foods but most contain meats. ASU students are rallying for the creation of an all-vegan dining hall that can cater to vegan and vegetarian students. (Photo by Tynin Fries) A group of ASU students are rallying for the creation of an all-vegan dining hall that can cater to vegan and vegetarian students. While dining halls offer a variety of foods for different diets, ASU received a "C" on peta2’s annual vegan report card. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

More than 800 ASU students have signed a petition calling for the establishment of an all-vegan dining hall on campus.

After ASU received a "C" on peta2’s annual vegan report card, which assesses dining hall menus based on public information records and student feedback, students decided to petition for an all-vegan dining hall on campus.

Katherine Gross, peta2 campus representative and president of VegAware, said she aims to get 1,000 signatures on a petition to establish an all-vegan dining hall on campus, which would boost ASU’s grade to an “A” on the vegan report card.

“Every year, billions of animals are slaughtered in the oppressive factory farming industry, but the wonderful news is that we can thrive off a plant-based diet, and ASU students can make a difference by telling dining that they support a vegan dining facility,” Gross said.

Gross began writing a campaign letter for an all-vegan dining hall at the start of the fall semester and plans to continue garnering support for her campaign by hosting on-campus tabling events.

"As the largest university in the country, Arizona State works to accommodate the needs of all in their community," Gross said. "With the opening of a completely plant-based dining facility, ASU can keep up with this growing demand and appeal to incoming students."

Gross said she hopes ASU will follow in the footsteps of the University of North Texas and University of California- San Diego, both of which have already established all-vegan dining facilities on their campuses.

Peta2, a youth branch of the larger People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, is supporting Gross’s efforts by sending free leaflets, stickers and DVDs to students.

Ryan Huling, PETA’s associate director of international youth outreach, said although the movement for an all-vegan dining hall at ASU is student-driven, peta2 has long supported the work of students like Gross.

“If ASU wants to keep up with student demand — or better yet, get ahead of the curve — now is the time,” Huling said.

While students choose to be vegan for a variety of reasons, such as preventing animal abuse and for the health benefits of a vegan lifestyle, Huling said all students can enjoy vegan meals.

"Students are horrified to learn that cows, pigs, chickens and other animals have their throats slit while they're still conscious and that millions of them are skinned alive, but now, with all the mock meats, soy and nut milks, and non-dairy cheeses available at schools across the country, we can eat the foods we grew up enjoying without the cruelty,” Huling said.

Bon Appetit, a food-service management company, conducted a study which showed that since 2005, the number of college students who identify themselves as vegetarian has risen by 50 percent and the number of vegan students has more than doubled.

With such a growing demand for vegan and vegetarian dining options on campus, Gross is on track to surpass the 1,000 signatures needed for the petition, Huling said.

Supply chain management junior Garrett Bentley said although the University's food contractor, Aramark, offers some vegan options on campus, he is unaware of a specific vegan eating establishment on campus.

"I believe that every student's dining preferences should be valued and represented by the University," he said.

Reach the reporter at ekamezak@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @emikamezaki

×