Berryhill mentoring ASU soccer's young back line

Junior defender McKenzie Berryhill passes the ball to sophomore defender Mckenzie Grossman during the game against UCLA on Sept. 26 in Tempe. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Junior defender McKenzie Berryhill passes the ball to sophomore defender Mckenzie Grossman during the game against UCLA on Sept. 26 in Tempe. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Junior defender McKenzie Berryhill passes the ball to sophomore defender Mckenzie Grossman during the game against UCLA on Sept. 26 in Tempe. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Junior defender McKenzie Berryhill was a key player in ASU soccer's 1-1 draw against top ranked UCLA, blocking many tough shot attempts. However, she and the rest of the team were unsatisfied with only tying.

“We have trained so hard,” Berryhill said. “I feel like we all noticed we were only playing at 75 percent, and I think we all as a group just decided that wasn't good enough.”

After coming off the bench in the team's last three games because of an injury, Berryhill played in all 110 minutes of the double overtime match against UCLA.

“I was ready for it,” Berryhill said. “Just trying to ease me back in was nice. We all kind of knew it was going to happen. Coming off the bench or starting, it doesn't matter to me, as long as I can help the team.”

The Sun Devils have only allowed two goals in their past six games, mostly because of their stellar defense, which Berryhill anchored in the back row.

“It makes me feel good, but it’s not just me out there,” Berryhill said. “Our communication has improved a lot since last year, and that has helped a lot.”

Coach Kevin Boyd praised his defensive ace.

“Berryhill is a special player,” Boyd said. “Our team has a ton of trust in her. She is also very good in a one-versus-one situation. She has a calming effect.”

Berryhill also earns respect and praise from her fellow teammates.

“Kenny playing back there always helps,” freshman forward Jessica Raybe said. “She takes newer players under her wing. She helps everyone calm down and keeps the game going.”

Berryhill was flattered in the amount of faith her teammates put in her, but humbly reflected on how she can continue to improve herself as a player.

“I’m glad they feel at ease with me, but there are still parts of my game that I wish I could fix,” Berryhill said. “I hope the younger players look up to me. Instead of just telling them what they did wrong, I try to tell them what they did wrong and how they can correct it, something that helps make them better.”

With so many young players on the team, there was skepticism earlier on in the season whether this Sun Devil team would be able to fare well against more experienced teams and how well the incoming freshman would mesh with the team's more senior players.

ASU has silenced those doubtful thoughts with the way they have been playing, proving that they are a more than capable team, with a great melting pot made up of younger and older players.

“I think it's awesome that our freshmen can pick up things fast,” Berryhill said. “We’re not having to take a couple games into conference play to figure out how fast the play is, and I think UCLA was a good eye-opener for everybody of where we are. I think it is exciting to know that we are not that far away from out best. Lots of kudos to the freshmen for being able to jump right in.”

The Sun Devils got their first taste of conference play this season after their game against UCLA and are looking forward to the challenge that lies ahead in the rest of their season.

“We always want to play like the underdog, and we always want to play like we are playing against UCLA,” Berryhill said. “We are still going to go out there and give it our all, and hopefully come away with a lot of wins.”

Berryhill believes this Sun Devil team has the potential to make a run at the NCAA tournament.

“I tell the team every weekend, ‘All right guys, this is one step closer to the tournament. We got this.’ I just try to give as much confidence as possible,” Berryhill said. “I think this year it looks like a really good possibility. Last year, we played as individuals. This year, we are playing as a team, so that helps."

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @MarcTSteiner

×