A recent Facebook controversy has brought up a good question: Should legal names be enforced on social media sites? If we take a look around in our own social circles and list of friends, the majority of them use their real names on profiles and accounts they make.

So why is this an issue, you ask? Well, Facebook recently upset the drag queen community because of its policy requiring users to display their real names on profiles instead of alternative names. The problem came about because Facebook discovered that some of the profile names being used on the site, including names on drag queens' profiles, didn't meet this standard.

We know that some people use alternative names like middle names or some sort of variation that still incorporates a part of their real name on their account. Some do this as a security measure, to protect their identity online or to avoid giving away all personal information.

However, not all social media sites see this as an acceptable means of security. Facebook, for instance, believes that by requiring users to display their legal name, it reduces the risk of things like identity theft, or being talked to by unwanted people. Facebook attempts to keep fake accounts off of the site as a measure to keep it a safe environment free of stalkers, sexual predators, or other random creepers. Considering somewhere between 5.5 percent and 11.2 percent of Facebook accounts are fake, the company is certainly justified in these measures.

Where does one draw the line with how much information to give? Let’s think back to the old days of Myspace. One of the biggest concerns with the site was its lack of security and a popular perception of immaturity due to ridiculous fake accounts. People were allowed to put down whatever name they wanted to, add whomever they wanted to, and display all sorts of private information about themselves. Yes, it was fun and addictive, but from a security point of view, it was just awful. Facebook is wise in avoiding the mistakes Myspace made with its name policy.

However, Facebook was faced with a sensitive issue, considering members of the drag community found themselves "silenced for allegedly breaking a company rule and left without meaningful recourse."

Instead of loosening its real name policy, Facebook "promised to improve its reporting, enforcement and appeals processes." This was the correct course of action, because it protected the foundation of its site, while guaranteeing a means of expressing the wide range of identities people may have.

It is something to keep in mind, however, that there may be reasons why companies require some private information for our benefit that we may not understand. Contacting the company itself is always a great option to getting any questions answered that you may have even after reading about its policy. Maybe preventing the days of Myspace are in our own hands by being more honest in our identities online. So should you use your real name online or not? Well, that’s up to you.

Reach the columnist at tnunez1@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @TayNunz

×