2014 Arizona Race to Watch: 5th Congressional District

James Woods (Photo from candidate's Facebook page)

Still need to cast that ballot? Haven’t done your election homework? We’re here to help. The State Press breaks down candidates running for statewide office, as well as legislative and congressional seats in the areas of each campus. Along with a brief bio, we’ll give you information about where the candidates stand on five issues relevant to ASU students: education, immigration, reproductive rights, marijuana legalization and LGBTQA issues.

Here’s what you need to know about the candidates for Arizona’s 5th Congressional District, which includes the area around the Polytechnic campus. Find the rest of our races to watch here.

Matt Salmon (Photo courtesy of the U.S. House of Representatives) Matt Salmon (Photo courtesy of the U.S. House of Representatives)

Matt Salmon (Republican)

Salmon was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012, after he defeated Democrat Spencer Morgan. He had previously served in Congress from 1994 to 2000 and in the state Senate.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio endorsed him.

Where he stands:

Education: To ensure students have the most opportunities at being successful, parents and educators should be given more flexibility, he said.

Immigration:  He says the first step to fixing immigration is to secure the border, and he doesn't support President Barack Obama’s immigration reform efforts.

Reproductive Rights: Salmon is pro-life.

LGBTQA Issues: Despite having an openly gay son, Salmon remains against same-sex marriage.

James Woods (Democrat)

James Woods (Photo from candidate's Facebook page) James Woods (Photo from candidate's Facebook page)

Democrat James Woods, a blind, progressive feminist, ran unopposed in the primary election for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. of Representatives position in Arizona’s 5th Congressional District.

Woods created a stir on social media after he sent campaign-branded condoms to a pro-life group and released a video explaining how easy it was for him to get a gun, which he played with in the video.

Where he stands:

Education: Woods said he believes in increasing science education and access to higher education for everyone.

Immigration: Woods said he supports immigration reform, including an executive order to decriminalize immigration and provide a better path to citizenship.

Reproductive Rights: Woods said he believes in protecting reproductive health care, because it is a basic human right.

LGBTQA Issues: Woods said he supports same-sex marriage and policies that protect equal treatment and opportunity for everyone.

×