2014 Arizona Race to Watch: Secretary of State

Terry Goddard (Photo courtesy of Terry Goddard)

Still need to cast that ballot? Haven’t done your election homework? We’re here to help. The State Press breaks down candidates running for statewide office, as well as legislative and congressional seats in the areas of each campus. Along with a brief bio, we’ll give you information about where the candidates stand on five issues relevant to ASU students: education, immigration, reproductive rights, marijuana legalization and LGBTQA issues.

Here’s what you need to know about Arizona’s Secretary of State candidates. Find the rest of our races to watch here.

Terry Goddard (Democrat)

Terry Goddard (Photo courtesy of Terry Goddard) Terry Goddard (Photo courtesy of Terry Goddard)

Democrat Terry Goddard ran unopposed in the August primaries. Goddard was the Arizona Attorney General from 2002 to 2010 and was defeated in the 2010 race for Arizona Governor.

Goddard’s key focus during the election has been on dark money and making political action committees disclose their donors.

Where he stands:

Education: Goddard said improving under-performing schools should be one of the top spending priorities in Arizona.

Reproductive Rights: Goddard said he is pro-choice and supports reproductive rights.

LGBTQA Issues: Goddard said he supports gay marriage and LGBTQA rights.

Michele Reagan (Republican)

Republican candidate Michele Reagan and Democratic candidate Terry Goddard debate in A.E. England on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2014. The debate was part of Civic Action Night at the Downtown Campus. (Photo by Jonathan Williams) Republican candidate Michele Reagan and Democratic candidate Terry Goddard
debate in A.E. England on Thursday, Sept. 16. The debate was part of Civic
Action Night at the Downtown campus. (Photo by Jonathan Williams)

Reagan, a state Senator, defeated Arizona state representative Justin Pierce and investment fund manager Wil Cardon in the August primary and now faces Democrat Terry Goddard.

Reagan wrote and supported House Bill 2305, which would have required more signatures to run, limited who could drop off an early voting ballot at polling places and started regular purging of the early voter lists. Gov. Jan Brewer signed legislation that repealed the changes HB 2305 proposed in February.

Reagan also ran into issues when she incorrectly stated that independents were not on the permanent early voting list while tweeting at Terry Goddard.

Where she stands:

Education: Reagan said education should be an area of top spending for the government.

Reproductive Rights: Reagan said she does not fully oppose abortion and would like it to be available in some scenarios.

LGBTQA Issues: Reagan voted in favor of Arizona Senate Bill 1062, which would legalize discrimination against LGBTQA residents, but said she was proud to celebrate marriage equality after courts struck down Arizona’s same-sex marriage ban.

×