ASU soccer preparing for first round playoff clash with NAU

Members of the ASU women's soccer team celebrate a 1-0 win over UA that ultimately clinched the Sun Devils a playoff spot. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

Members of the rASU women's soccer team celebrate a 1-0 win over UA that ultimately clinched the Sun Devils a playoff spot. (Photo by Daniel Kwon) Members of the rASU women's soccer team celebrate a 1-0 win over UA that ultimately clinched the Sun Devils a playoff spot. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

After grinding through a grueling Pac-12 schedule, the Sun Devils have earned a spot for themselves in the NCAA Tournament, for the first time in two years, set to square off against their northern neighbors, NAU.

The Sun Devils (11-5-4, 4-4-3) punched their ticket into the big dance after defeating rival UA 1-0 in the Territorial Cup, thanks to a late goal off the boot of freshman defender Madison Stark. ASU was one of nine Pac–12 teams made the playoffs, a conference record.

Senior goalkeeper Chandler Morris was named Pac–12 Goalkeeper of the Week after her performance leading up to the Sun Devils making the playoffs, especially for her performance in the Territorial Cup. Morris had four saves, one of which came in the final 10 seconds of the game, securing the shutout win for the team, the 19th of her career. This is the second time she has been honored with this award this season.

Three other players earned Pac–12 accolades. Junior defender McKenzie Berryhill and junior forward Cali Farquharson were both named to the All-Pac-12 first team, and freshman forward Aly Moon was named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team, as well as receiving All-conference honorable mention. Farquharson has led both the Sun Devils and the Pac–12 in scoring this season, with 14 goals in the regular season. Moon has eight goals on the season, and Berryhill has two.

The Lumberjacks (12-5-4, 5-2-3) are riding into the tournament hot, fresh off a five-game win streak. Their top scorer, junior forward Haley Wingender, has managed to score 11 goals on the season. Their next top scorer, freshman forward Adrian Nixt has five goals. The Lumberjacks are ranked 22nd in save percentage, with an impressive .853.

The Sun Devils played NAU earlier this season in a preseason scrimmage, which was held at the ASU West campus. Although no official score was kept, the Sun Devils greatly outscored the Lumberjacks in the scrimmage. Both teams have since greatly improved since, and it will be an interesting matchup.

“I think we could be a dangerous team in the playoffs,” head coach Kevin Boyd said. “With the talent we have there is no way you are going to keep us from getting anything, not when we are back on our game.”

ASU hosts NAU at 7 p.m. Saturday at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium.

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @MarcTSteiner

×