'Beauty and the Beast' coming to Phoenix this Thanksgiving

(Photo Courtesy of  Beauty and the Beast National Tour)
(Photo Courtesy of Beauty and the Beast National Tour)

(Photo Courtesy of Theatre League) (Photo Courtesy of Theatre League)

The tale as old as time is arriving in Phoenix next week at the Orpheum Theatre. The musical adaptation of “Beauty and the Beast” will be opening Thanksgiving weekend.

(Photo Courtesy of  Beauty and the Beast National Tour) (Photo Courtesy of Beauty and the Beast National Tour)

Featuring an Academy Award-winning score, the musical delivers on the nostalgia of one of Disney’s most beloved films. The significance of this is not lost on the talented cast, even in its youngest star, 11-year-old Ross Nemeth. The Arizona native plays the role of Chip, the adventurous teacup.

“I’m really proud to be part of the show,” he said. “It’s really exciting for everyone, especially for me and the whole cast.”

Nemeth already has an impressive resume, having performed in more than 25 shows in the greater Phoenix area.

“This is my first national tour, but I’ve done a lot of community theater around the Valley since I was 4,” Nemeth said.

The cast of 30 also includes Phoenix-born Nick Lorenzini. In the musical, he juggles various roles, including the money-hungry villain Monsieur D’Arque and a new enchanted object in the castle that was not in the original film.

The show also includes original songs.

“It’s all of your favorite songs from the movie," he said. "The ones that are different were written by the same creative team, and by Tim Rice and Alan Menken, as additions to the musical.”

Lorenzini, who grew up performing around the Valley, said he’s also excited to make his Orpheum Theatre debut. After 80 years of restoration, the historic landmark was recently returned to its original 1929 design, which adds to the magical experience of the national tour.

“It is really unlike anything else. … It’s so crazy being a part of something that everybody loves,” he said.

Even without the grandeur theater, Lorenzini says audiences are transported to the Disney memories from the movie. “It automatically triggers those emotions that the movie makes you feel. I think that’s something that those who are fans of the movie and music will be able to look forward to,” he said.

The Disney magic is palpable during the show’s three hours. Calling it the perfect date night, he said there have even been proposals on stage after the show.

“It’s going to be an incredible weekend; Arizona is in for a huge treat. People are already going to be in the family spirit for the Thanksgiving weekend, so Phoenix is going to be lucky to have us,” he said.

“Beauty and the Beast” will be playing from Nov. 28 to Nov. 30 at the Orpheum Theatre. Tickets can be purchased here.

Reach the social media editor at jurgiles@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MrsMathers94

×