Lydia and Black Carl to bring energetic local music to The Pressroom

(Photo Courtesy of Dirk Mai)
(Photo Courtesy of Dirk Mai)

(Photo Courtesy of Dirk Mai) (Photo Courtesy of Dirk Mai)

On Dec. 13, Arizona-bred indie rockers Lydia will be taking The Pressroom by storm along with fellow Phoenicians and co-headliners Black Carl.

Two other bands from the Valley, IAMWE and Murrieta, will open the show. It will also be Lydia's final show of 2014, following a one-off show at the San Diego House of Blues Nov. 29.

The band consists of vocalist and guitarist Leighton Antelman, keyboardist Matt Keller and guitarist Justin Camacho. Lydia chose to complete the show's line-up with other local bands found through mutual friends.

For this year-end show, the band will be playing a set list that contains a little bit of everything, from the first release, 2008's "Illuminate," to the most recent, 2013's "Devil," Antelman said.

"The set list for the Phoenix show is going to be sporadic," Antelman said. "There will definitely be some songs from 'Devil' in there and probably some B-sides as well. It's the first show in a while where we'll be playing a couple songs from everything."

With the band bringing out material from all its albums, the set list is sure to satisfy and intrigue. From the new fan brought out by the allure of a local show to the die-hard fan of the poetic indie-rockers, the groups will come to please.

Antelman said the band enjoys bringing back songs that it hasn't played in a while in order to keep the set list interesting. At the moment, those songs for Antelman are "Assailants" from the 2010 album by the same name and "Back to Bed" from "Devil."

"I would say my favorite song is always the song we haven't played in a couple tours," Antelman said. "I like playing those, because they're more fun to play; they keep the set fresh."

Antelman said that there's even a chance that those at the show will be able to hear a new song from the upcoming album at the show.

As for the new album, Antelman said that the band is currently finishing up writing it and expects it to be out around March of next year.

"It's somewhat the same as 'Devil,' a little darker at points and a little happier at others," Antelman said. "We actually almost released it as a two-disc album, one with the happier songs and one with the darker ones."

The band will also be performing at South By Southwest in March, which is its next listed show after it hits Phoenix.

Tickets for the show are $15 – $17 and can be purchased here. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with the show starting at 7 p.m. Don't miss out on this night of talented Phoenix musicians closing up 2014 at The Pressroom.

Reach the reporter at ezentner@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @emilymzentner

×