2014's top 10 theater shows

(Photo Courtesy of Phoenix Theatre)
(Photo Courtesy of Phoenix Theatre)

There are actors, singers and dancers. Then, there are those who can do it all. The blending of multitalented individuals in live performances is exhilarating to witness. The core of Phoenix’s artistic culture is theater, and 2014 brought many theatrical treats to the desert. Here are our top 10 shows of the year.

“Wizard of Oz”

(Photo Courtesy of Gammage) (Photo Courtesy of Gammage)

“Wizard of Oz” was an impressive display of talent and technology. Gammage-goers experienced the infamous tornado via video projectors and were sent to the land of Oz, with all of its glimmer and luster. Proving that just about everything is better with dogs, Toto is the heart of the musical. Not to be outdone, Dorothy’s “Over the Rainbow” was as goosebump-inducing as it was when it was sung by Judy Garland. The Tin Man, the Lion and the Scarecrow provided comic relief and were very enchanting in their display of unconditional friendship. Still, it was Dorothy, with her breathtaking performance, who made this music unforgettable.

Read a full review of "Wizard of Oz" from The State Press here.

“Beauty and the Beast”

(Photo Courtesy of Matthew Murphy) (Photo Courtesy of Matthew Murphy)

“Beauty and the Beast” recently became the seventh longest-running show on Broadway, and for good reason. The Disney magic of the original film is presented in a concoction of song, dance and comedy that brings to life one of Disney’s biggest films. Thankfully, if you can’t make it to New York, the touring production of the tale as old as time is well-traveled. With childhood favorites such as “Be Our Guest” and “Beauty and the Beast,” each song is bound to be nostalgic for every ‘90s kid. From the iconic red rose to the legendary yellow gown, it is an experience not to be missed.

Read a full review of "Beauty and the Beast" from The State Press here.

“Once”

(Photo Courtesy of Joan Marcus) (Photo Courtesy of Joan Marcus)

Musically speaking, “Once” is one of the most beautiful shows of the year. The emotional musical follows the love story of Guy and Girl. What really sets this show apart is that the entire cast plays its own instruments, becoming the show’s orchestra. The musicianship of every character is on display on a level that’s un-matched. The most popular song from the musical is “Falling Slowly,” which won an Academy Award for Best Original Song. “Say It To Me Now” is performed with such passion and pure rawness that lingers long after the last chord of the acoustic guitar is played. The storyline is compelling, and honestly heartbreaking, but the music alone make this show one worth watching again and again.

Read a full review of "Once" from The State Press here.

“West Side Story”

Arguably one of the most-loved musicals in history, “West Side Story” is a timeless tale that never fails to mesmerize. With its strong fan-following, what is difficult to do is create a production that meets the expectations of the audience. The Jets and the Sharks have been forever immortalized in pop culture and this summer, Valley Youth Theatre did the nearly impossible by putting on solid performances of the classic for almost three weeks. The fan-favorites “Maria” and “A Boy Like That” were executed perfectly. The galvanizing drama and brawls that came with it did not disappoint.

“Kinky Boots”

(Photo Courtesy of Gammage/Photo by Matthew Murphy) (Photo Courtesy of Gammage/Photo by Matthew Murphy)

“Kinky Boots” is almost a book on life lessons wrapped into one bizarre and sparkly musical. Known as the show about transexuals, it proves to be so much more. Tackling themes such as self-acceptance, parental rejection and unlikely friendships, its cathartic impact is undeniable. With songs like “Sex Is in the Heel” and “The Most Beautiful Thing In the World,” both about shoes, it incorporates dramatic numbers into the plot. The music and lyrics are by Cyndi Lauper, making for a show unlike any other in terms of musical genius. The show, which is inspired by a true story, leaves viewers motivated.

Read a full review of "Kinky Boots" from The State Press here.

“Jersey Boys”

(Photo Courtesy of Jeremy Daniel) (Photo Courtesy of Jeremy Daniel)

Often described as a “jukebox musical,” “Jersey Boys” is exactly that but packed into a show that dramatizes the history of one of the first boy bands. Taking place in the 1960s, the musical honors the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. The documentary-style approach allows for each band member to give his own account of the events that led to the disbanding, all the while sharply dressed and delivering impeccable vocals. With world-famous hits such as “Big Girls Don’t Cry” and “December 1963 (Oh, What A Night),” it is a classic that flawlessly transcends decades.

“Mary Poppins”

(Photo Courtesy of Phoenix Theatre) (Photo Courtesy of Phoenix Theatre)

Yet another Disney classic is “Mary Poppins,” playing until the end of the year at Phoenix Theatre. The picturesque show is entrancing with its intensity and choreography. Determined to deliver a show that can be experienced through the eyes of a child, the ensemble includes many children that are an integral part in bringing the magic on stage. With special effects and new songs to accompany the classics such as “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and “A Spoonful of Sugar,” it brings a fresh element to the musical.

“Elf: The Musical”

Just in time for the holidays, “ELF” stormed in with Buddy, everyone’s favorite elf. The light-hearted musical brings Christmas cheer to Phoenix this year, courtesy of the North Pole. Songs such as “Christmastown” and “World’s Greatest Day,” showcase Buddy’s singing talent and pure innocence, capturing the spirit of the season. The comedy-centered show follows Buddy’s journey to New York City, and the stage is transformed to a red and green world of Christmas glee.

“Bring It On: The Musical”

(Photo Courtesy of Clint Tuccio) (Photo Courtesy of Clint Tuccio)

When it comes to high-energy performances, “Bring It On: The Musical” beats the rest. Inspired by the cult film from 2000, the musical focuses on competitive cheerleading and the climb to win nationals. Theater roles already demand for performers to be singers and dancers, but in this show, they had to be athletes as well. Aerial stunts and costume changes during mid-air were staples of the show. Making the story relevant 14 years later required adding original songs that were well-received by the audience. It missed some key elements of the original film that should have been included, but the modern twist on the famous film was necessary.

“I Love Lucy: Live on Stage”

While “I Love Lucy: Live on Stage” didn’t make its way to Phoenix, it was worth the drive to Tucson. The on-stage adaptation of one of the most beloved shows in history transported theatergoers back to the 1950s. Lucille Ball, indisputably one of the best female comics of all time, and her vivacious spirit were captured perfectly. Ricky, Fred and Ethel also came alive through costumes and stories that were true to the sitcom and its playful essence. Playing like a variety show, it was the perfect representation of “I Love Lucy” and the simpler times in which the television show originally aired.

Reach the social media editor at jurgiles@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @MrsMathers94

×