ASU tennis makes statement at ITA Kick-Off Weekend

Vladhit: Junior Stephanie Vlad (left) returns the ball to UC Davis doubles partners, while her partner, junior Desirae Krawczyk, awaits the return on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2015, at Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The match was abandoned due to a 4-3 ASU lead in doubles match. (Krista Tillman/ The State Press)

Vladhit: Junior Stephanie Vlad (left) returns the ball to UC Davis doubles partners, while her partner, junior Desirae Krawczyk, awaits the return on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2015, at Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The match was abandoned due to a 4-3 ASU lead in doubles match. (Krista Tillman/ The State Press) Vladhit: Junior Stephanie Vlad (left) returns the ball to UC Davis doubles partners, while her partner, junior Desirae Krawczyk, awaits the return on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2015, at Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The match was abandoned due to a 4-3 ASU lead in doubles match. (Krista Tillman/ The State Press)

The No. 32 ASU tennis team (2-1) traveled to Evanston, Illinois to take part in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, coming away with its first win over a ranked opponent of the dual match season.

The team began the tournament with an impressive win over host No. 17 Northwestern University on Saturday, winning 4-3.

The two teams battled early on throughout the doubles session of the match.

The team’s No. 1 doubles pairing of juniors Desirae Krawczyk and Stephanie Vlad fell to Northwestern’s pairing of junior Alicia Barnett and sophomore Manon Peri 6-4.

However, for a consecutive week the No. 2 pairing of senior Joanna Smith and sophomore Kassidy Jump cruised to a win, quickly defeating Northwestern’s senior Lok Sze Leung and freshman Rheeya Doshi, sweeping them 6-0.

With the doubles series tied at one each, ASU’s No. 3 duo of junior Ebony Panoho and sophomore Alexandra Osborne came through to secure the point for the Sun Devils after defeating Wildcats freshman Alex Chatt and sophomore Brooke Rischbieth 7-5.

The win would prove to be the difference between the two teams.

During the singles session, the team’s top three singles players each claimed victory in their matches. No. 37-ranked Krawczyk topped Northwestern's Barnett 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 1 matchup. In the No. 2 bout, Vlad defeated Peri 6-4, 6-3, and in the No. 3 tie Jump defeated Sze Leung 6-2, 6-3.

With the win, the team would take on No. 44 Kentucky Sunday afternoon, after the Wildcats came away with a victory over No. 21 Rice University on Saturday.

ASU was able to once again win the point during the doubles session of the match.

ASU's No. 3 pairing of Panoho and Osborne carried their strong form over from their Saturday win, defeating senior Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff and junior Kirsten Lewis 6-1.

Facing Kentucky's No. 19-ranked pair of junior Nadia Ravita and sophomore Aldila Sutjiadi, Krawczyk and Vlad rebounded from their Saturday struggles to win in dominant fashion, winning 6-1.

During the singles session, the Sun Devils were unable to get anything going, dropping five of the six matches.

Jump defeated Kentucky's Kelsey Dieters 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 to claim the team's only singles win on the day.

Overall, the Sun Devils performed extremely well in what was considered to be the toughest four-team grouping in the country during the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.

Securing a win over a top 25 team on the road is a positive that the team will look to build off of entering its match this upcoming Sunday against No. 31 Ohio State. The match will begin at 12 p.m. in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at kajone31@asu.edu or follow @kaelenjones on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×