ASU women's basketball to rely on interior defense against Colorado, Utah

Sophomore Quinn Dornstauder defends ASU’s basket as the team faces No. 9 Oregon State on Jan. 25, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/ The State Press)

Sophomore Quinn Dornstauder defends ASU’s basket as the team faces No. 9 Oregon State on Jan. 25, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/ The State Press) Sophomore Quinn Dornstauder defends ASU’s basket as the team faces No. 9 Oregon State on Jan. 25, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/ The State Press)

No. 11 ASU (18-2, 7-1) will look to recover from its first Pac-12 loss of the season when they travel this weekend to take on two conference cellar dwellers.

The first game is on Friday evening against Colorado (9-10, 2-6 Pac-12). The Buffaloes feature stars ASU grew accustomed to last week: players in the post.

The difference between Colorado and other opponents is that the Buffs have two strong bigs inside.

Senior forward Jen Reese is averaging a little less than 14 points per game and bringing down 7.3 boards. She shoots 48 percent from the floor and can stretch the court with her outside shooting.

The other post player is junior forward Jamee Swan. She manages the paint, averaging 13.4 points per game and 7.7 rebounds.

ASU coach Charli Turner Thorne said she is taking different approaches to defending the two players.

“Reese is a big, thick kid but she wants to reverse, turn and shoot,” she said. “(Swan’s) a low-block player. She wants to get down there and wheel and deal.”

Sophomore forward Kelsey Moos is going to stretch out and defend Reese. That’ll be a difference from last weekend, as she won’t be able to help sophomore forward Sophie Brunner or sophomore center Quinn Dornstauder down low on the center. Instead, an athletic guard like junior Elisha Davis or senior Promise Amukamara could be the ones switching off her man to double team Swan.

Additionally, a zone defense could be effective. ASU has used it sparingly this year, but it would allow its own bigs to stay in the paint on defense and leave Swan on the post against a quicker defender.

Turner Thorne said ASU would win if they “do a great job of limiting touches and not letting Swan and Reese get their iso(lations).”

ASU also needs to rebound. It’s a theme for Colorado, who average 43.8 rebounds per game as a team, which is second in the Pac-12 behind Oregon State.

ASU contained OSU well on the boards last weekend, giving up just 38. Colorado has more players who attack the boards than OSU, with all five of its starters averaging at least 5.2 rebounds.

That’s a ridiculous stat that ASU may be unable to compete with, despite their improvements on the boards. Brunner has been rebounding more as of late, bringing down 7.3 per game. She’s a little undersized to play the center position, but she’s tough in the paint: she often gives her matchup a tiny push while jostling for position, forcing them to be a step late.

Additionally, Dornstauder is becoming stronger at boxing out opponents. It’s been an issue with her throughout the season, but she has shown improvements and was a large part that kept OSU’s junior center Ruth Hamblin without rebound for the first 18 minutes of Sunday’s game.

ASU plays Utah (6-13, 0-8 Pac-12) on Sunday. The Utes' best player also lives in the post.

“In both games, all the leading scorers are their interior players,” Turner Thorne said. “Interior (defense) is going to be huge this weekend.”

Utah has redshirt senior forward Taryn Wicijowski, who is averaging 15.2 points and 9.9 rebounds per game.

“It has to be team defense, it can’t just be Sophie or Kelsey,” Turner Thorne said.

Double teams are likely coming into play, particularly against Utah. The Sun Devils did a good job of managing Oregon junior forward Jillian Alleyne last weekend by having one player defend between her and the basket and another in position to jump into passing lanes and stay between Alleyne and the ball handler.

ASU’s primary objective against Utah will be denying Wicijowski the ball. On the stat sheet, she’s the only one to fear. However, Turner Thorne said the Ute’s game extends beyond her.

She said guards redshirt sophomore Paige Crozen, junior Danielle Rodriguez and senior Cheyenne Wilson are “veteran players that do a really good job,” and added that freshman forward Tanaeya Boclair, though young, is Utah’s second-highest scorer.

“They don’t ever really have the high numbers because they don’t play a high-possession game but they have good percentages and they’re good players,” Turner Thorne said.

Utah’s numbers aren’t high: of those five, Wicijowski’s the only one who averages double-digit points per game. As a team, they score 55.8 per game.

Additionally, Utah’s missing out on one of their better players: sophomore forward Malia Nawahine is expected to miss another week due to injury. She hasn’t played since Nov. 23, when Utah lost to Nebraska.

That’ll make it easier for ASU to contain Wicijowski the same way they typically defend bigs: get in passing lanes, force turnovers and score in transition. If the Sun Devils keep up the pace and force their usual turnovers, they should be able to bounce back well.

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Logan_Newsman

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @Statepresssport on Twitter.

×