ASU water polo looks to improve upon stellar previous season

Then-Redshirt freshman goalie E.B. Keeve (left) extends to block a shot during the Sun Devils' 12-3 win over Hartwick on March 25. The Sun Devils host conference foe San Jose State in the last regular season game of the year before heading to the MPSF tournament. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

Then-Redshirt freshman goalie E.B. Keeve (left) extends to block a shot during the Sun Devils' 12-3 win over Hartwick on March 25. The Sun Devils host conference foe San Jose State in the last regular season game of the year before heading to the MPSF tournament. (Photo by Dominic Valente) Then-Redshirt freshman goalie E.B. Keeve (left) extends to block a shot during the Sun Devils' 12-3 win over Hartwick on March 25. The Sun Devils host conference foe San Jose State in the last regular season game of the year before heading to the MPSF tournament. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

The ASU water polo team is about to embark on yet another season, in which the team looks to improve upon its stellar finish to the previous season. Because of the team's top five placing, the Sun Devils are ranked fifth going into this season.

The Sun Devils finished in fifth place overall in their inaugural NCAA Championship appearance last season, with exciting then-freshman center Alkistis Benekou leading the way in scoring, finishing with 56 goals scored on the season. Benekou played in all 28 games for ASU. With one year of experience under her belt, she may be even better in 2015.

“(Benekou) seems to be stronger and faster and also just more comfortable in the position,” head coach Todd Clapper said in a statement. “This year she’s really focused more on settling down and holding her position and doing a much better job, so I’m really happy with where she’s at now.”

Sophomore attacker Izabella Chiappini was the second-leading scorer on the team, scoring 52 goals on the season. Like Benekou, she also played in every single game last season.

“(Chiappini) is physically stronger and faster than she was last season, and more experienced.” Clapper said.

The team also has added a lot of new, young talent, with seven freshmen on the roster.

“We’re bringing a lot of new players into the mix and some people that are stepping into bigger roles this year than they’ve had in previous years,” Clapper said. “I think that the players that are returning—ones that might’ve had off-the-bench roles throughout the season last year—are now going to be more focal points of what we’re doing. We return with veterans in the goalkeeper position and at the center position, and so we’re really strong and experienced in those two positions. We have a good, solid foundation of veterans in two very, very important positions.”

Players on the team hail from all over the world, including countries like Spain, Brazil, Australia, Greece, Serbia and Hungary. With all of these cultures meeting in one place, the team dynamic is a unique and special one.

ASU will commence its season with a road trip to Santa Barbara, California, this weekend, where the team will take part in the UCSB Winter Invite. The team will be playing on the road the majority of the first half of their season, with its first home game not being played until March 21.

The Sun Devils opens its season against CSU Northridge at 4:10 p.m. on Friday.

Reach the reporter at mtsteine@asu.edu or on Twitter @MarcTSteiner.

×