From Beyoncé's female empowering VMA performance last fall, to the ever-so-controversial #freethenipple campaign, it seems like no matter how hard you try, you can't escape the topic of feminism. These liberating equal rights movements are everywhere — and this new project takes feminism a million steps forward.

On Jan. 13, Australian actress and "Reign" star, Caitlin Stasey, launched Herself.com, a NSFW web project dedicated to highlighting non-celebrity women's minds, bodies and freedoms. The site features nude photos of the women along with an interview about various subjects like sexual education, sexual identity, puberty, contraceptives, the media's portrayal of women, and of course, feminism. The goal of the site, is to eliminate sexualization of the female body, or as Stasey puts it, "Witness the female form without the burden of a male gaze."

AllieBice1-25

In a recent interview, Stasey also stated, "A woman rarely gets the opportunity to just live in herself, as herself, fully autonomous. I wanted to give women the chance to reclaim that for themselves."

For some, it might seem like an extreme tactic, however, the overt nakedness on the site seeks to change the attitude some have about the female body.

"The fact that it is a matter of controversy that a woman should choose to be nude without it being an act of sex just shows how backward and oppressive our society is," Stasey adds.

Within just a week of its launching, the website has garnered lots of attention. Some can't get over the bare nakedness of the women on the site. Despite the lengthy interviews Herself.com includes, Rebecca Sullivan, a writer on News.com, states. "Getting naked on the internet only ensures that your body, rather than your brain, continues to be the focus." An article in the Daily Trojan also points out that "some (female insights) are extreme and might confuse young readers who are still figuring out their identities."

While the negative remarks shuffle in, so do the positive ones. Major publications like Glamour, People and Time, have nothing but praise for the project. Even in an article from sheknows.com, Christian mother Julie Sprankles, said she "appreciates the beauty of Herself.com: we each, as women, have the choice to be what we want to be." It's also been receiving positive remarks on social media outlets.

Herself.com is women's activism done right. It is simply an attempt to encompass a different side of feminism and educate others about important, more culturally taboo subjects. It is time for women to take ownership of their bodies. It is time for women to stop feeling ashamed about their bodies, their sensuality and their emotions. We are much more than docile, dependent, victims.

There is no doubt that full frontal nudity won't come without controversy but, Herself.com is about women being naked on their own terms, which is exactly what it means to be a feminist. Herself.com works to change what is socially and culturally accepted, and for that, it is an amazing project.

For those who can't get past the naked women exhibited, look on, but perhaps you can learn a thing or two about the female body.

Reach the columnist at ambice@asu.edu or follow @AllieBice on Twitter.

×