My name is Jesi, and I am a Netflix junkie

sparky selfieI definitely never thought of myself as someone with an addictive personality, but after getting access to Netflix’s instant streaming I have found that I was gravely mistaken. More often than not, I find myself watching entire series. I’m talking six or seven seasons, within weeks, or staying up until 3 a.m. watching movies. How my grades haven’t dropped is beyond me.

Even though I spend (or what some might say waste) considerable amounts of time watching whatever pops up on “Top Picks for Jesi”, there is always at least 75 percent of the movie and TV show options I haven’t seen. Typically, I don’t have time to watch the movies, yet somehow I always seem to make time.

I try to dabble in all genres depending on my mood. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a cute little "rom com" where I can spend a night with a pint of cookie dough ice cream and my feelings. Other days I just want to see stuff blown up. But, no matter what mood I’m in, I always want to expand my movie repertoire. Each week I’ll watch at least one movie that I have never seen before. Though, most likely I’ll watch way more than that and give my honest opinion. There is always that point in the Netflix options that you stop recognizing the movie titles and, if you get far enough, even the actors. Each movie I watch will be deep in the depths of Netflix; the more obscure the better.

Yes, I definitely recognize that there will be a significant amount of movies that will be horrible with low production value, but that’s a sacrifice I am willing to make. However, I’m sure that a good amount of the movies will be pleasantly surprising. I will go through the sweet process of discovery to figure out whether or not a movie is worth putting on your “must watch” list. And no matter how glorifying or condemning my review of a movie will be, I will not be posting spoilers. That just ruins the fun of magical movie discovery.

This week will only be a taste of what you will expect, so here are a few movies that I have felt are worth watching: "Labyrinth" (it’s old, but David Bowie is in it), "Silver Linings Playbook", "Flight", "The Whole Nine Yards", and the list goes on.

Are you a fellow Netflix junkie? Join the conversation and reach the writer at ybrewste@asu.edu.

Jesi is an English Lit and Transborder studies double major. She enjoys reading, writing, and the occasional social experience. She is most comfortable in areas where there is food, otherwise known as the quickest way to her heart.

×