No. 32 ASU women's tennis rolls, defeats UC Davis in straight sets

Vladhit: Junior Stephanie Vlad (left) returns the ball to UC Davis doubles partners, while her partner, junior Desirae Krawczyk, awaits the return on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2015, at Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The match was abandoned due to a 4-3 ASU lead in doubles match. (Krista Tillman/ The State Press)

Junior Stephanie Vlad (left) returns the ball to UC Davis doubles partners, while her partner, junior Desirae Krawczyk, awaits the return on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2015, at Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The match was abandoned due to a 4-3 ASU lead in doubles match. (Krista Tillman/ The State Press) Junior Stephanie Vlad (left) returns the ball to UC Davis doubles partners, while her partner, junior Desirae Krawczyk, awaits the return on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2015, at Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The match was abandoned due to a 4-3 ASU lead in doubles match. (Krista Tillman/ The State Press)

ASU women’s tennis (1-0) began its 2015 dual-match season Saturday with an impressive showing against the UC Davis Aggies (1-1) in Tempe.

In a sterling performance, the team swept their opponent and did not drop a single set along the way en route to winning every match.

“It’s good (to win),” coach Sheila McInerney said. “The first match is always the toughest in some way, but obviously, our competition is going to get stronger as the year goes on.

McInerney was impressed with the team's start on Saturday.

“I think everybody feels good, everybody got a win in straight sets," she said. "It’s a good way to start.”

ASU dominated in every facet Saturday, especially during the three doubles matches.

The team’s No. 2 pairing of senior Joanna Smith and sophomore Kassidy Jump defeated Tiffany Pham and Lani-Rae Green 6-3.

The two exhibited great chemistry on the court feeding off of each other’s energy throughout their match together.

“(Kassidy) and I played together last year together towards the end of the season,” Smith said. “We have really good chemistry. I love playing with her. We definitely enjoy each other’s company out there.”

Jump was equally appreciative of her partner.

“I love playing with Joanna,” Jump said. “It’s just really great. I think my ball from the baseline really works well with her because she’s so great at the net, and I think our two games work well together when we’re partners.”

The other doubles matches included the No. 3 pairing of junior Ebony Panoho and sophomore Alex Osborne, who defeated UC Davis' Kamila Kecki and Frederique Sleiffer 6-2. The No. 1 pairing of junior Desirae Krawczyk and junior Stephanie Vlad matched up against Layla Sanders and Kristy Jorgensen. The latter of the two matches ended was abandoned with Krawczyk and Vlad leading 4-3, due to ASU already capturing two of three necessary points to win the doubles session of the match.

The team enjoyed success during the singles matches, as well.

No. 32-ranked Krawczyk dominated her No. 1 singles matchup against Sanders, winning 6-0, 6-0.

“It was more of just playing to my game style and spreading the court, making all of my first serves, and winning the sudden death points which helped a lot,” Krawczyk said.

Smith dueled with Jessie Lee in the No. 5 pairing, where Smith was able to overcome a 4-5 deficit in the first set before going on to claim it 7-5, then winning the following set 6-1 to clinch her match.

“She (Lee) was tough to play,” said Smith. “To beat her I needed to move forward and be aggressive, and so that’s what I told myself. Especially with her serving, I just wanted to make sure I was moving forward.”

While one senior enjoyed success on the court today, another’s season is in jeopardy, as the Sun Devils are currently without senior Leighann Sahagun.

The senior could potentially be sidelined four to six weeks with a torn meniscus, however is seeking the opinion of a doctor to determine whether or not she will require surgery.

“She’s going to be out for a little bit for sure, it seems,” said McInerney. “The other kids just need to step up, but that’s sports.”

McInerney remains confident that the rest of her squad will be able to play well during Sahagun’s absensce.

“I’m very confident,” said McInerney. “They’re here to play. They all want to be in the lineup and contribute, and they certainly did today.”

The Sun Devils will next travel to Evanston, IL to face No. 17 Northwestern University this upcoming Saturday on Jan. 24th, along with the winner of a match between No. 21 Rice and No. 29 Kentucky on Sunday, Jan. 25th.

Reach the reporter at kajone31@asu.edu or follow @kaelenjones on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×