Tempe Police: Man starts fight with officers at pub

Tempe Police reported the following incident Wednesday:

• A 19-year-old Tempe man was arrested on Jan. 18 at Rula Bula Irish Pub, which is located on the 400 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, possession of drug paraphernalia and a minor in consumption of alcohol, according to a police report.

The man approached officers about finding a pair of keys but refused to give them the keys, according to the report. He started to become aggressive with police, squaring his shoulders, lunging at them, yelling, “f--k you, pigs” and giving them the middle finger, police reported.

According to the report, officers tried to detain the man but he resisted arrest by pulling away and tightening the muscles in his arm. Officers were able to get the man to the ground and told him to “stop resisting,” police reported.

At one point, the man grabbed a hold of one of the officer’s vests and pulled him to the ground, police reported. The struggle continued on the ground and one of the officers was struck on the right cheek by the crown of the man’s head, according to the report.

Responding officers eventually arrived and used a Taser to subdue the man, according to the report. During a search, officers found a small capsule containing marijuana shake residue and paraphernalia in his front right pocket.

The man admitted he knew he had assaulted officers during their attempt to detain him, according to the report. He believed he had been detained illegally and panicked, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Kelcie Grega.

Reach the assistant news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @kelciegrega.

LikeThe State Presson Facebook and follow@statepresson Twitter.

×