21 & under: Five nights out for those underage

Being underage always has it limitations. You can only be places during a certain time, if you are even allowed to be there at all. It can be frustrating to make plans because of these limitations, but it doesn't have to be difficult. Here are a few places that have events specifically for minors.

1. Sky Lounge 132 E Washington St.IMG_3759 Phoenix, AZ 85004 Hours vary.

Looking for a place to practice your dance moves? Sky Lounge is the ideal place for that. This lounge caters to the 18+ crowd with its first floor geared for those underage. It contains a dance floor that is sure to get anyone on his or her feet. Additionally, the upstairs contains a bar with reasonably priced drinks for those of age. Either way, each floor has something to offer no matter what age you are, so make your way downtown. IMG_37202. Crescent Ballroom 308 N. 2nd Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85003

Open: Mon. — Fri.: 11 a.m. Sat. — Sun.: 5 p.m.

Close: Sun. — Wed.: 1 a.m. Thurs. — Sat.: 2 a.m.

Every so often it's time to escape the large, party crowd and turn to a place with a low-key vibe. The Crescent Ballroom showcases a number of different bands sure to meet your music taste. However, not every show is available to those under the age of 21. Whether or not the show is geared toward the underage crowd can usually be determined by perusing the calendar on the ballroom’s website. In addition to the ballroom, Crescent has a lounge that is open every day.

IMG_37003. Tempe IMPROV Comedy Theater 930 E University Dr. Tempe, AZ 85281

It has always been said that laughter is the best medicine. What better way to get a dose of laughter than at the Tempe IMPROV Comedy Theater. This theater hosts both the underage and of-age spectators. Those underaged can attend comedy shows on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday, as well as later in the evening on Fridays. In addition to seeing a show, the theater’s kitchen serves a variety of American foods. According to the theater’s website, it is suggested that attendees purchase tickets in advance and there’s a “two drink minimum” for those of age. Make your way to the comedy theater and take life a little less seriously.

IMG_38744. The Duce 525 S Central Ave. Phoenix AZ 85004

Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday Closed Tues. – Thurs. 11 a.m. – midnight Fri. – Sat. 11 a.m. – 1 a.m.

The Duce has much to offer to minors with its variety of games, shopping and dancing. In addition, there is a restaurant that serves sliders, salads, brunch and much more. Not only does The Duce host minors, but they also have a bar available for those who are of age to drink. According to the Duce’s website, it’s a place “where pretty meets gritty and produce meets prohibition.” This rustic warehouse provides an ample amount of options for those seeking to be entertained and have a sober night.

IMG_37065. The Rhythm Room 1019 E Indian School Rd. Phoenix, AZ 85014 Hours vary

This music venue offers live performances from bands from around the Valley and around the country. The Rhythm Room typically caters to those 21 and over, but it features some shows that are open to minors every now and then. Check the event calendar on the website for any age restrictions. In addition, ticket prices vary from show to show. According to the Rhythm Room’s website, it's open one hour before the show begins. If you’re looking for a night on the town filled with music, venture to the Rhythm Room.

Don't let your options be limited. Those over 21 can't have all the fun, all the time.

Reach the writer at shyde1@asu.edu or via Twitter @ShelbyHyde.

×