ASU gymnastics falls on beam and to Beavers, 196.275-193.475

ASU junior Stephanie Miceli scores 9.725 on the uneven bars, but the team lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press)

ASU junior Stephanie Miceli scores 9.725 on the uneven bars, but the team lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press) ASU junior Stephanie Miceli scores 9.725 on the uneven bars, but the team lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press)

Four days after posting its highest overall score of the season, the ASU gymnastics team scored its second-lowest of the year in a loss to No. 10 Oregon State.

The Gym Devils' 196.275-193.475 loss was also one of their largest margins of defeat of the season.

"We had a lot of mistakes tonight," head coach Rene Lyst said. "We had to count two errors on beam and we had to count two errors on floor, so that was a bit disappointing. We need to go back into the gym, we need to clean up a little bit and get a little more repetition under our belt so we can be better next time around."

While ASU did make mistakes later in the night, the Sun Devils started the meet solid.

The Gym Devils' first rotation was on the vault, where they scored a season-high 48.700 overall.

"Vault was great," Lyst said. "We're getting better on vault ... we keep improving on that event but while we improve on that event we still need to maintain strength on our other events and that's what we'll work on this week."

Lyst wants to focus on keeping the team calm and collected in practice this week.

"We'll probably be doing some team assignments in practice to work on pressure sets so we can do a little bit better under pressure as a team, not just individually," she said.

ASU's most consistent gymnast on Friday night was junior Stephanie Miceli, who scored a 38.725 all-around and didn't score lower than a 9.600 on any of the four rotations.

"Stephanie's been doing a great job for us," Lyst said. "She's been very steady, she's been doing all four events for us all year and I'm really proud of the progress she's made."

Miceli narrowly beat out her teammate, junior Taylor Allex, to win the all-around crown for Friday night, but she said there will never be hard feelings between the two or anyone else on the team.

ASU junior Taylor Allex scores a 9.125, even after a fall on the balance beam. ASU lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press) ASU junior Taylor Allex scores a 9.125, even after a fall on the balance beam. ASU lost to Oregon State in a tough defeat at Wells Fargo Arena on Feb. 20, 2015. (Kat Simonovic/The State Press)

"We support each other no matter what," Miceli said. "(Taylor)'s someone in the gym that I actually look up to, I think she's an awesome gymnast. I have her back and she has my back and we just go out there and do the best that we can together for the team."

Allex had a strong evening, minus a fall on the balance beam that gave her a 9.100 score on the rotation, her lowest of the season.

"I didn't expect to fall," Allex said. "I thought I was fine, but it happens so I just have to move on from it and keep working in practice like I have been."

Allex recovered for the fourth and final rotation on the floor, posting a 9.850, the highest on the team.

"(After I fell), it was kind of like 'might as well have fun now'," Allex said. "That's all I focused on, just having fun."

Allex also scored a 9.900 on the vault, tying her season-high. She said she didn't focus her practice time on that particular routine this week but was happy with how it turned out.

"I just had confidence in myself that I could do it," Allex said. "I went out and did it and it worked out."

Senior Brianna Gades scored a team-high 9.850 on the balance beam.

Junior Carissa Kraus was the highest-scoring Gym Devil on the bars with a 9.825.

You can click here to see all final scores from Friday's meet.

ASU's next meet will be Saturday, Feb. 28, against UCLA at 12 p.m. It will be held at Wells Fargo Arena.

Reach the reporter at mtquesad@asu.edu or follow @mitchTquesada on Twitter.

×