ASU softball preparing for Louisville Slugger Invitational, including two games against Michigan

Senior third baseman Haley Steele anticipates the bunt in the second game of a Saturday night doubleheader on Feb. 21, 2015, in Tempe. The Sun Devils would secure a 14-0 victory in only five innings. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

Freshman Breanna Macha gave up no runs and six hits, while striking out five batters in four innings as the ASU Sun Devils took on Indiana State in the second game of a Saturday night doubleheader on Feb. 21, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) Freshman Breanna Macha gave up no runs and six hits, while striking out five batters in four innings as the ASU Sun Devils took on Indiana State in the second game of a Saturday night doubleheader on Feb. 21, 2015, at Farrington Stadium in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

After ending a second-consecutive weekend with a walk-off grand slam, No. 21 ASU softball (12-5) is preparing for the Louisville Slugger Invitational, which will include two games against No. 3 Michigan (13-1).

The Wolverines have knocked the Sun Devils out of the postseason for two straight years, including last year, where Amber Freeman was inches away from a walk-off home run.

Along with its two games against Michigan, ASU will play Binghamton and Toledo.

No. 21 ASU vs. No. 3 Michigan — Feb. 27 at 4:30 p.m., March 1 at 2 p.m.:

No. 3 Michigan's only loss was to No. 1 Florida by a score of 2-1. However, it has two wins over No. 4 Alabama (13-3) and two over No. 12 Florida State (10-5). Its two performances against the Crimson Tide were dominant, winning by scores of 8-2 and 4-1. In addition, the five of the 13 Michigan wins have been by mercy rule, compared to ASU's two.

Junior shortstop Sierra Romero is the Wolverines' best field player and has been the most consistent hitter this season, tallying 15 RBIs on 15 hits with three home runs and a .788 slugging percentage. In addition, junior Kelsey Susalla has four doubles, two triples and three home runs for 13 RBIs this season, including a team-best .795 slugging percentage.

However, Michigan's pitching and defense is its biggest strength this season. The Wolverines sport a rotation of three quality pitchers. Sophomore right-hander Megan Betsa (5-0) has started six games and pitched 30.2 innings, with an 1.37 ERA with only 15 hits and six earned runs. She has also fanned 49 batters, which is a team-best. In her freshman campaign, she was 18-4 with a 2.15 ERA and led the team in strikeouts with 150.

Seniors Sara Driesenga (4-0) and Haylie Wagner (4-1) have pitched 27 and 30 innings, respectively. Driesenga sports a team-best 0.78 ERA with only three earned runs, six walks and 20 strikeouts. Last year, she had a 1.75 ERA in 28 appearances, including 15 starts. Wagner, who has a 1.87 ERA, has only walked four batters and has 19 strikeouts. In her junior season, she posted a 24-5 record in 38 appearances, with a 1.82 ERA.

The Wolverines are rolling through this season, with a 5.8-run average margin of victory in their 13 wins. Perhaps the stat is most concerning because ASU's offense struggled against No. 13 Minnesota and the Sun Devils' starting pitchers, Dale Ryndak (6-1) and Breanna Macha (5-3), have ERAs of 2.58 and 4.07, respectively. Although Ryndak has pitched well lately, Macha struggled at points in the Diamond Devil Invitational, and with the aces running wild for Michigan, there will be immense pressure to score for the ASU offense.

No. 21 ASU vs. Binghamton — Feb. 27 at 7 p.m., Feb. 28 at 4:30 p.m.:

Binghamton (2-3) saw its last action in the Georgia Southern Tournament from Feb. 13-15. The Bearcats' best hitter is freshman infielder Kate Richard, who has hit .471 with two doubles and eight RBIs in five games.

Although its record is not impressive, Binghamton is a young team that lost six of its seniors from last season. This year, 12 of 19 Bearcats are freshmen or sophomores, with only one senior on the team. ASU has five seniors, all of which are in the starting lineup, that can be used to take advantage of Binghamton's youth. In addition, Binghamton averages 10 hits per game, whereas the Sun Devils only give up seven. The explosive ASU offense is going to force the Bearcats to not only get runners on base, but also to convert on opportunities to score.

No. 21 ASU vs. Toledo — Feb. 28 at 7 p.m.:

Because of the cancellation of the Furman University Tournament, Toledo (4-5) last played in the Charleston Southern Tournament on Feb. 13 and 14. Although the Rockets have had two one-run losses, they have also lost by nine, seven and eight runs this season. ASU will be the highest-caliber opponent Toledo has faced thus far, which should bode well for the Sun Devils.

However, New Mexico State and Boise State gave ASU trouble in the Diamond Devil Invitational, making the Sun Devils earn tough wins.

In addition, ASU's pitching has had its shaky performances throughout the season, which could put Toledo in position for its fifth win.

The Rockets' best hitter through nine games has been Celeste Fidge, who is hitting .375 with four triples and five RBIs. Toledo's No. 1 starter, Marla Gooding (3-2), has had a slow start, holding a 4.12 ERA with 22 earned runs and 37.1 innings pitched in five starts and eight appearances. However, the margin of error will be low as ASU's offense, led by the top of the order, will be looking to explode after an inconsistent weekend in the Diamond Devil Invitational.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow @justintoscano3 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×