ASU track and field ready for first split weekend of 2015

Then-Sophomore pole-vaulter Andrea Kremmerrer gets a running start before jumping over the bar during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium on Saturday,
April 12. (Photo by Becca Smouse)
Then-Sophomore pole-vaulter Andrea Kremmerrer gets a running start before jumping over the bar during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium on Saturday, April 12. (Photo by Becca Smouse)

Then-Sophomore pole-vaulter Andrea Kremmerrer gets a running start before jumping over the bar during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium on Saturday, April 12. (Photo by Becca Smouse) Then-Sophomore pole-vaulter Andrea Kremmerrer gets a running start before jumping over the bar during the Sun Angel Track Classic at Sun Angel Stadium on Saturday,
April 12. (Photo by Becca Smouse)

The ASU track and field team will have its first split weekend in New Mexico and Washington this weekend.

The distance runners will be heading to the Husky Classic in Seattle at the University of Washington’s Dempsey Indoor. Meanwhile, the short distance and field teams will be headed back to Albuquerque for the Don Kirby Invitational.

The distance teams will be facing tough teams in the Husky Classic, including runners from Pac-12 rivals UCLA, Arizona, Stanford, Colorado and Oregon.

Sophomore CJ Albertson and junior Ryan Herson will be the first to go on Friday in the men’s 5,000 run.

Saturday is when most of the action takes place with the women’s 3,000 meter, men’s 3,000, men’s 800 and the men’s mile run.

Albertson, who had his personal best in the 3,000 earlier this season, will be running in the men’s 3,000. Senior Payton Schutte, senior Shaina Corbin and sophomore Chelsey Totten will be competing in the women’s 3,000.

Rounding out the Husky Classic for the Sun Devils are sophomore Cody Brazeal, junior Ian Roberts, junior Daniel Wong in the men’s mile run and junior Trevor Landry in the men’s 800.

The rest of the team will be at the Don Kirby Invitational in New Mexico, facing top competition from other teams who have also split between the Husky Classic and the Don Kirby Invitational.

Oregon, who won the men’s and women’s indoor national championships last year, is among the talented field along with top men’s teams No. 9 Stanford and No. 24 BYU. For the women there are four more ranked teams in this year’s invitational: No. 9 Stanford, No. 17 USC, No. 19 UCLA, and No. 20 Michigan.

Also competing elsewhere this weekend is senior Shelby Houlihan. Houlihan, the national champion in the women’s 1,500 and ASU record-holder in the women’s 3,000, was selected to run in the Wanamaker Mile at the 2015 Millrose Games.

The Wanamaker Mile is one of the most prestigious indoor races in the country and includes some of the top mile runners in the world. The race will be held at the New Balance Track & Field Center at the Armory in New York City and will be broadcasted live on NBC Sports Network.

The results for the Don Kirby Invitational will be posted on liverunningresults.com while the Husky Classic will have a live stream posted on Flotrack.org, but only for subscribers.

Reach the reporter at tjwilkin@asu.edu or follow @TWilkins23 on Twitter.

×