Caught in a "School Daze"

When I realized "School Daze" was on Netflix, I was really excited. I love finding throwback movies on Netflix, because who doesn’t like watching the occasional old movie? Though I’d never actually seen the movie, I had heard about it from my family. My father, mother, and some of my aunts and uncles were Greek and, when they were in college, and "School Daze" was said to be hilarious satire of the hazing that was said to have happened back them. Since I did not get the obvious pleasure of going to college in the 80s (because let’s be honest, Run DMC and the Brat Pack are still some of my personal favorites), I didn’t have any real knowledge of what a college campus was like back then aside from what the movies told me.

Now this is where I’m going to get a little harsh. I was not impressed by this movie, not by a long shot. Again, I heard people tell of how hilarious Spike Lee’s movies are, but I didn’t get more of a “ha-ha” out of this one. I tried my best to push through the movie and find the social commentary as satirical as it was intended, but I’m afraid that without the cultural context it’s just not that funny. I personally cannot relate to students rallying for apartheid because all my life Nelson Mandela was the brave president that ended it.

Then there was the “funny” fraternity and sorority on campus. I do have moderate experience on the Greek system from stories, the media, and a brief bout of personal experience. But that was completely exaggerated to the point where it wasn’t very believable. Not to mention the fact that it’s hard for me to picture fraternities hazing their pledges on campus for all the school to see. But, again, I don’t have too many personal sentiments about that sort of thing so I don’t know if that’s the kind of thing that would be received at humorous or offensive.

So for all my Netflix junkies, we have reached our first official dud, and I am sure that there will be plenty more to come. I regret to admit that this formerly well-known Spike Lee did not impress me. If you are interested in old movie, black activist, and overly satirized Greeks, then "School Daze" is definitely the movie for you. If not, next week’s pick will be a step in a completely different direction.

Did "School Daze" put you in a daze? Do you have a totally different opinion? Join the conversation and reach the writer at ybrewste@asu.edu.

Jesi is an English Lit and Transborder studies double major. She enjoys reading, writing, and the occasional social experience. She is most comfortable in areas where there is food, otherwise known as the quickest way to her heart.

×