Devils of Arizona State: Polytechnic campus, round 2

Business junior Logan Rohloff. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

ASU prides itself in being "one university in many places." That being said, one of four campuses, Polytechnic, is located in Mesa. After wandering around the campus, I came across five friendly and interesting students willing to share their stories.

Software engineering graduate Jagmeet Kaur. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Software engineering graduate Jagmeet Kaur. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

Software engineering graduate student Jagmeet Kaur — "I came in August 2014. I am liking the field, software engineering. I want to help other people. Not necessarily with a specific company, but yes, something product-based like Google."

"Here I find people with smiling faces, which is something I like the most. Before coming here, I didn't know whether, you know, people would be appreciative of the fact that the people of other countries would come to study here. But when I got here, the culture of ASU was pretty cool. They were not self-centered. They were very welcoming of us."

Applied biological science senior Sean McDougall. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press). Applied biological science senior Sean McDougall. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press).

Applied biological sciences senior Sean McDougall wanted to make sure his shirt was highlighted in his profile. — "I hope to get into a PA (physician assistant) school, hopefully teaching science, chemistry, biochemistry, that kind of stuff. I am pretty set on pre-med, pre-PA. The teaching thing is kind of a fallback."

"I just like this campus out of all the other campuses. It's low-key, more of a community college feel. It's smaller. I can see all my classes from the parking lot. I did a semester at Tempe but I found out I could take my classes out here."

Electrical engineering freshman Graca Ouma. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Electrical engineering freshman Graca Ouma. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

Electrical engineering freshman Graca Ouma — "I just love circuits, the telecommunication that's a part of that. My dad is the one that inspired me. He was a telecommunication engineer."

"I am from Kenya, I've been here for seven months. It was really hard when I first arrived. I like the events that are organized by the housing people. The people are very nice at ASU. I've been to Tempe and the downtown campus as well. I love downtown."

Business junior Logan Rohloff. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Business junior Logan Rohloff. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

Agriculture business junior Logan Rohloff — "I am studying (agriculture) business, I want to go into the produce industry and work on the supply chain side of that. I actually got invited by ASU to go to an association conference last October and my interest was sparked. Before that I was just going to school, not knowing what I wanted to do, but an opportunity was presented to me and I took it. I actually just competed in a student case study competition as well, ended up winning it. It was in Vegas. That was really awesome."

"I have nothing bad to say about ASU. It's close to home, (has) in-state tuition. I figured I would stay home and save some money. I really like the small classes over here. So that's my favorite part of this campus. Especially compared to classes in Tempe where there are classes of four to 500 students. You get that personalization with the professors."

Software engineering graduate Richa Mitral. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Software engineering graduate Richa Mitral. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

Software engineering graduate student Richa Mittal — "I am from India, it's a lot different here. It's great here. I obviously miss my country though. I miss the food from home. I either eat pizza or the french fries in the dinning hall. These spices, we are usually vegetarians so over here, we don't have many options."

"The career I would go into is IT, information technology. I want to work for some company back in India. After completing my degree, I plan on returning. I came in January and will leave in December 2015."

West, you're next!

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×