'Dirty Dancing' has phenomenal opening night at ASU Gammage

DirtyDancing2-18

The classic story of Johnny and Baby came to life on stage last night, as “Dirty Dancing” had its opening night at ASU Gammage. A packed house gave a standing ovation to the show, leaving each audience member with “Hungry Eyes,” wishing they could see more of the brilliance put forth on the stage.

The Broadway production was verbatim of the classic film, nearly every line and action identical to the script. This just proves when a production of any kind is this flawless, don’t mess with a single detail. Countless major outfits were identical to that of the films as well, as they should be.

The entire production surpassed expectations. The vibrant projection sets transported you to the summer of 1963, directly to the setting of the getaway in which the story takes place, Kellerman’s Resort. Complete with a front screen and moving back panels, there wasn’t a single scene that didn't match the movie. With floodlights to accompany the front screen, water was created in order to recreate the infamous scene where Baby and Johnny practice their lift. The actors looked like they were in the middle of the lake, despite the fact they were on the middle of a stage. Forget movie magic, this method of Broadway magic was simply breathtaking.

The lead roles were played by Jillian Mueller and Samuel Pergande, each giving a seamless performance, a true testament to their extensive performance background. However, this wasn’t an easy feat for either actor. Most of the audience members were avid fans, women who were crazy for Swayze in their youth, and related to Jennifer Grey on a personal level. They view these two as Baby and Johnny in the flesh. With shoes that big to fill, it’s a surprise that Mueller and Pergande could possibly rise to the occasion, but each one did, receiving standing ovations at the end of the show.

The choreography was superb, complete with all of the lifts that left us awestruck while watching the film. Mueller even awkwardly made mistakes in the same cute, comical notion that Grey did, staying true to Baby’s character. Pergande looked like an expert on the stage, as he should. Each back-up dancer was flawless, leaving audience members with the task of attempting to keep their eyes on each couple, not wanting to miss a thing.

The sanctity of the film was preserved as the iconic tracks identical to the movie were played, and not covered by the performers. “Hungry Eyes” played above head as Baby and Johnny practiced furiously, Mueller and Pergande’s chemistry radiating from the stage. “Love is Strange” was yet another original track we welcomed like a familiar friend, as Baby and Johnny had their infamous scene in the dance room, sexily crawling across the floor.

However, the few tracks that were covered were flawlessly sung by Jennlee Shallow, who played Elizabeth, as well as Doug Carpenter who personified Billy, Johnny’s cousin. “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” was brilliantly brought to life by the both of them, and did the original justice.

There were a few subtle differences as a few songs were added, and the storyline of the civil rights movement became a bigger part of the story. It is briefly mentioned in the film when Neil, the heir to Kellerman’s hotels, said he is going to go to Mississippi to be a freedom rider, but there is a number to accompany the topic in the show. It was a brilliant addition, as it is always necessary to shed light on such an important time in history.

The production is set to run until Feb. 22, and it is no surprise that each show is nearly sold out. With performers of this magnitude, coupled with a classic tale so many love, a standing ovation is sure to end the show each night.

Are you making it down to Gammage to see Baby and Johnny take the stage? Tell the reporter at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @dpharias on Twitter.

×