Museums can be an interesting way to spend the weekend without breaking the bank. Many of the museums in the area run special deals and discounts for students as well as free admission during certain time periods of the week.

Football season may be over, but the there's a museum in downtown Scottsdale open year-round to fill this void. The Ellie and Michael Ziegler Fiesta Bowl Museum highlights influential moments throughout the history of the game. The Zieglers were passionate about philanthropy as well as longtime volunteers for the game.

Check out all 120 football subdivision team helmets and well known trophies. The museum is broken into four sections. Walk through these different parts to learn about the game, the volunteers, the pregame rituals and college football's history.

Located under the same roof as the Fiesta Bowl headquarters, the museum is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Everyone is welcome to visit free of charge.

The Phoenix Art Museum is another easily accessible option. Hop on the light rail from Tempe to downtown Phoenix on Wednesdays of the month from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. for free access to the museum.

There are over 18,000 works of art from all over the world. The exhibits are influenced from all types of cultures such as American, Asian, European and others through various mediums.

There are many different aspects to the museum, and among the most popular are the photography exhibitions and Sculpture Garden. The museum has collaborated with the Center for Creative Photography to showcase photos from over 2000 photographers.

Another area of focus for the museum is the history of fashion. The fashion gallery showcases over 4,500 items of clothing inspired by American and European culture. The garments also cover a vast time period from the 18th to late 20th century of fashion design.

If you don't mid spending a little money, the museum also rotates in various collections from other diverse cultures. Some of the exhibits currently on display are "All that Glitters is not Gold," featuring two fashion photographers and "Platinum," featuring a contemporary photographer.

The museum is also open for no charge during the monthly First Friday event from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Along with viewing art inside the Phoenix Art Museum, you can find many local artists who showcase their work on Roosevelt Row accompanied with other activities such as live music and performances.

Reach the reporter Bryanna.Mundy@asu.edu or follow @bryannamundy on Twitter.

×