Phoenix Open breaks weekly attendance record

Attendance at the Phoenix Open the past 10 years

ASU junior Jon Rahm tees off at the 10th hole of the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open on Feb. 1, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press) ASU junior Jon Rahm tees off at the 10th hole of the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open on Feb. 1, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

Despite adverse weather conditions and golf's biggest names in Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods missing the cut, the Phoenix Open set a new attendance record in 2015.

Weekly attendance increased by 0.24 percent from last year's then-record total, going from 563,008 fans in 2014 to 564,368 in 2015. Sunday attendance increased to 83,552, a 38.7 percent increase from last season, but it was not a record.

Wednesday's pro-am (75,380) and Thursday's first round (118,461) were records for that day, but Friday (81,309) and Saturday (159,706) attendance dipped, likely because of rain.

Even though the weekly record was set, it's a wonder how much more people the Phoenix Open could have drawn if it was just sunny all four days, given the influx of tourists for the Super Bowl and it being Woods' first appearance in the event since 2001.

Attendance at the Phoenix Open the past 10 years (Graph by Justin Janssen)

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter.

×