Tempe Police: Drunk man walks on light rail tracks to find way home

Tempe Police reported the following incident Tuesday:

A 24-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 31 at Ash Avenue and First Street on suspicion of trespassing, according to a police report.

Metro Light Rail Security saw the man on surveillance video walking on the light rail bridge on 300 West Lakeview Drive, police reported.

A light rail security officer started walking northbound on the bridge when he said he saw the man coming towards him, according to the report. The security officer walked with him until police arrived, police reported.

The security officer said dispatch told him the man had been walking on the tracks all the way from downtown Phoenix, according to the report.

The man told officers he had been drinking at a bar in Phoenix with his brother and the two got separated, police reported. The man said he knew he could find his way back home by following the light rail track, according to the report.

The man said he did see the “no trespassing” signs, but he was worried he would get lost if he ventured off the tracks, police reported. He also said he knew it was not a good idea but was unaware the consequence for trespassing on the tracks is a felony arrest, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Kelcie Grega.

Reach the assistant news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @kelciegrega.

×