Tempe Police: Man tries to flee on bicycle after being approached by officers

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 35-year-old Tempe man was arrested Feb. 9 at Loop 202 and North Priest Drive on suspicion of resisting arrest, criminal trespassing and failure to provide ID, according to the police report.

Officers contacted the man while he was holding a sign at the off-ramp of the 202 on Priest Drive, police reported. When officers attempted to approach the man using emergency lights, he attempted to flee on his bicycle, according to the report.

Officers reached the man and asked for identification, which the man refused to give because it was an “unlawful arrest,” police reported.

Police then tried to detain the man by grabbing his right arm several times and the man refused, officers reported. The man then attempted to run away and flee, according to the report.

Officers performed a leg sweep to get the man to the ground and placed him under arrest, officers reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the police report.

A 27-year-old Phoenix woman was arrested Feb. 9 at the 1200 block of North Scottsdale Road on suspicion of shoplifting, according to the police report.

Officers contacted the woman in response to a shoplifting call from a Tempe Goodwill, police reported. Officers detained the woman outside the store and found approximately $105 worth of merchandise, according to the report.

The woman also had “usable amounts” of marijuana and heroin, officers reported. Police ran a records check on the woman and uncovered two outstanding warrants for shoplifting and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held on the shoplifting charge and released pending the felony charges for marijuana and heroin possession, according to the police report.

Reports compiled by Jessica Suerth.

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or follow @SuerthJessica on Twitter.

×