Timeless or Timed Out: 'Casablanca' is still flawless

(Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.)
(Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.)

Timeless or Timed-out

Movies such as “Schindler’s List” or “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” have been coined as brilliant movies portraying the conflicts that occurred during World War II. These are all movies made years after the war came to a close, but “Casablanca,” another historical movie regarding this major conflict, was made during the war in 1942.

Being ranked near the top in numerous lists of the greatest movies “Casablanca” shows what occurred in northern Africa during the time of the war. The city of Casablanca was the last port for many refugees trying to escape to America. This is shown early in the movie, as many officers ask suspicious personnel if they have adequate papers to immigrate to America.

The movie covered a part of the world most people don’t think about when they consider the horrific events that took place during World War II. Most people think of Poland or Germany, not North Africa. The simple fact that this movie was produced when these events transpired makes it admirable.

(Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.) (Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.)

This story is told primarily through two past lovers, Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund. Rick resides in Casablanca and owns an upscale nightclub, “Rick’s Café Américain.”

One night Ilsa walks in — with her husband. Rick has been bitter ever since his relationship with Ilsa ended with no explanation from Ilsa other than a letter. The night after Ilsa returns, Rick reminisces about their past love affair in 1940s Paris and nurses his still-broken heart with a bottle of booze.

After a series of events, it is apparent why Ilsa came to see Rick with her husband. She and her husband need papers to immigrate to America and she needs Rick to help her obtain them. At one point, she confesses to Rick that she still loves him and only left him because she found out her husband, who she thought died in a concentration camp, was still living.

Not only is the storyline rich, the entire picture is filmed flawlessly. For being produced in 1942, it rivals some movies produced today. The lead actors, Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, deliver passionate performances.

There are countless lines in the movie uttered by Bogart that are memorable, my favorite being, “Who are you really and what were you before? What did you do and what did you think?” He poses this question to Ilsa in an eloquent way, wanting to know everything about her. I’m sure the line makes women that watch the film swoon for a moment.

From being coined as one of the best films of all time, to receiving three Academy Awards, Casablanca is in fact a film to be cherished. With a rich historical storyline, this film earns the title of timeless, as it should be shown for generations to come as not to forget about the events that transpired during World War II.

What’s your opinion of “Casablanca”? Tell the reporter at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @dpharias on Twitter.

×