Top ten favorite artworks

My computer is a wondrous place.

Through it I have access to information, comedy, entertainment and, most importantly, art. Through the magic of the internet I have been able to view and learn about more art than I would have ever dreamed I would, even if it is by proxy. And I just soak it in. I dive into pieces through my computer screen and get lost in their acrylic worlds. I could stare for hours (and really, what's the difference between staring at a blank Word document intended for an essay and the beautiful strokes of Degas? One is definitely more enjoyable than the other.)

I can never get enough of seeing famous pieces of artwork everyday — it calms me down and makes me feel better. Therefore, I devised plan a way for me to see them everyday without having to rummage through Google to find a halfway decent image. One day, I searched the Internet for good images of my favorite pieces and saved them all in a folder on my desktop. I then set this folder as the images to occupy the background of my screen. The images cycle through every 5 minutes. So, at any given glance or login, I am greeted with a new piece to re-experience.

I have to say, the few minutes I spend looking at my background before getting to work, are a welcome break on even the most stressful of days.

Listed below are some of my favorite pieces that are currently in my "background art" folder. I encourage you to search for your favorites and make them a part of your every day.

1. Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh

Of course I would have this classic. How can you not get lost in the vibrating brush strokes and quiet night of van Gogh's imagination. Here's an interesting fact: the image in Starry Night was the view from van Gogh's room in the asylum where he spent a year after cutting off his ear.

2. A Sunday Afternoon at La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat

If you've seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off, you know what piece I'm talking about. Just like Cameron, I'm mesmerized by how several tiny dots of paint can create such a quaint and beautiful scene here. I'd just like to step in with a book and some lemonade and forget my troubles.

3. The Rehearsal by Edgar Degas

Degas was famous for painting several scenes of dancers and ballerinas. But there's just something magical about the way he does this. The dancers have a light, ethereal feel to them that makes the scene seem like a floating dream. And I just float along with it.

4. Liberty Leading the People by Eugene Delacroix

As a self-proclaimed feminist, there's nothing more inspiring and motivating than watching a woman leading a revolution. There's something so beautiful and about the piece that I just want to blast Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" and start my own revolution.

5. The Two Fridas by Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo is definitely my favorite artist and I struggled trying to choose a favorite work just from her repertoire. But the portrayal of Frida and the two sides of herself resonate with me, especially in high school when I first learned about her.

6. The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles

So this isn't a painting but its definitely a work of art. This hall in King Louis XIV's palace in rural France is a wall of windows across from a wall of mirrors. Not to mention that everything is gilt framed and diamond-jeweled — the place just glitters.

7. Untitled (Yellow, Orange, Yellow, Light Orange) by Mark Rothko

This is the only Rothko I have ever seen in person and I still can't believe how much it moved me. There's really nothing like standing in front of a Rothko and feeling the colors wash over you. It's an almost religious experience.

8. Psyche by Berthe Morisot

I don't know why I love this so much. I think it has something to do with Morisot's feather-like treatment and the reflective nature of the piece. Either way, I could stare at it for hours.

9. The Slave Ship by J.M.W. Turner

This painting is pure emotion. The sharp color and somewhat blurred nature of the piece perfectly convey the desperate plea of the subjects as a storm overtakes the ship. But there's also an underlying theme of escape that is shrouded in the dim realization of just what that escape means. Although it is a bit depressing when analyzed, I could still get lost in its beauty.

10. Abbey in the Oak Forest by Caspar David Friedrich

Similar to the painting above, there's a still quietness to this painting of gothic cathedral ruins. The dark atmosphere contributes to the solitary feeling. While I originally thought this painting was a bit sad, now I find it tranquil in the fuss of my everyday routine.

Of course, there are several more pieces that hold special places in my heart. And I have no problem adding to my background. The more art I get to see each day, the better the day will be.

Reach the writer at mamccrea@asu.edu or via Twitter @mmccreary6.

Mackenzie McCreary is a senior who overworks herself with a major in journalism and minors in art history and English literature. She enjoys all the good things in life: warm coffee, good books, passionate art and Tumblr. She proudly proclaims herself as an #artfreak and wouldn't have it any other way.

×