(Editorial cartoon by Kelcie Grega) (Editorial cartoon by Kelcie Grega)

Anti-vaxxers are finally getting the press coverage they’ve been (literally) dying to have. This year, the result of their blatant refusal to do the whole “responsible parent” thing has come back as a wrath unlike any other: a measles outbreak that ironically began at the most magical place on earth.

It seems pretty obvious that measles vaccines are a good thing and anyone who doesn’t want to vaccinate their children are left-wing hippies without a care for the rest of civilization. Or, if you are a left-wing hippie with vaccinated children, then you know the cause of the whole measles rebirth was thanks to someone from the God-fearing religious right.

Fortunately for our political climate, vaccination beliefs are actually bipartisan. Even Gov. Doug Ducey is pro-vaccination. He, his wife and all of his children were vaccinated, and he urges Arizonans to follow suit. Props to you, governor. If conservatives and liberals can agree on anything, it’s that we want our children vaccinated and our deathly illnesses eradicated.

Unfortunately, we live in an ableist society where mental disorders are viewed as being worse than being dead. If people can avoid disabilities — it’s the fact that you can go from being a nondisabled person to a disabled person at any time in your life that makes disabilities so scary and “needed” to be avoided — they’ll do whatever it takes to do so. It’s a shame that parents are more concerned with the hardships that come with having a child with a disability than they are about having a child that could contract a disease and die.

Although the studies most often cited by anti-vaxxers and a large number of celebrities in Hollywood have been inconclusive or proven inaccurate, a surprising number of people still cling to the belief that the measles vaccine will give their children autism. This is simply inaccurate. In fact, the substance found in vaccines that is most often listed as the cause of autism, thimerosal, hasn’t been routinely used in vaccinations, aside from influenza vaccinations, since 2001.

If you are a parent or guardian and your doctor asks if you want to have your child vaccinated, the answer you should settle on is a definitive “yes.” While it might be more natural to skip out on available vaccinations, not only will you be putting your child in danger, but also people who are unable to get vaccinations for legitimate medical reasons. This allows the return of illnesses that had thought to have been eliminated from the U.S. long ago — looking at you, measles.

While it is true that vaccinations are expensive, there is now affordable health care that covers immunizations. Thanks, Obama! There is no reason that a disease that was under control and nearly eliminated should be resurfacing and circulating with a vengeance. Let’s forget about the clueless parents neglecting vaccinations because they’re afraid of science and worry about the innocent children being hurt because of them.

×