'All About Eve' with Bette Davis spreads a modern message about jealousy

(Photo courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation)

Timeless or Timed-out

(Photo courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation) (Photo courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation)

Competition is present in multiple aspects of life. Even if it is in a healthy manner, or is an instance that is detrimental to your endeavors, some sort of competition is usually present — especially in our aspirations for the future.

Whether you want to be a doctor, an actress or a financial guru, the pressure to be the best in order to achieve that dream is a feeling most experience. The classic 1950s film, “All About Eve,” presents this notion in a relatable way, as a young budding actress threatens the career of a veteran star.

The famous Margo Channing, played by Bette Davis, goes head to head with the seemingly innocent, young and aspiring actress Eve Harrington, portrayed by Anne Baxter.

A relationship formed between the two women at the being of the film that was commendable. Eve looked up to Margo and envisioned herself upon the stage much like Margo, leaving her to take on the role of Margo’s personal assistant. Over time, Eve subtly schemes against Margo and attempts to sabotage her career.

The greatest lesson I derived from the film was shown by Margo, as she has a breakdown, thinking she is much too old for theater now and will soon be replaced by Eve.

This initial notion spirals into her thinking that Eve will also steal her long-time boyfriend, Bill. Since Eve appeared to be so sweet early on in the movie, it was plainly displayed as jealousy.

Bill then tells her that her behavior “doesn't spell jealousy to me — it spells a paranoiac insecurity that you should be ashamed of!”

This quote, although not the most recognized in the movie, stood out the most to me. Jealousy is a result of insecurity, and this movie was proof of that.

As Margo’s career was never truly in danger, it was a notion she made up in her head, as most of society often does in their own personal conflicts.

This movie was also a true testament of what it means to go after your aspirations honorably and confidently. Eve went after her aspirations in a conniving way, willing to tear down anything and anyone in her way to achieve her goal of becoming an actress.

In a time in which we are working so incessantly toward our goals, this movie was a much needed reminder to work toward achieving them through good work and honesty, never ceasing to show your own confidence in your abilities.

The film received much praise over the years, and with numerous twists in plot, as well as charismatic actors to bring the story to life, it is easy to see why.

You begin to forget you are watching a film that is 65 years old, as it is so easily relatable to today. The film was nominated for 14 Academy Awards, a feat unmatched until “Titanic” was released, and ended up winning six. It is also the only film in Oscar history to receive four female acting nominations.

After 65 years and numerous awards and titles, “All About Eve” is still worth viewing. There is hardly any excuse not to pull out your computer and spend a day on Netflix with it.

It showcases numerous lessons that are still worth learning today, such as how to make it to the top in a commendable fashion and how easily jealousy and insecurity can lead you to sabotage your own aspirations.

Comments? Tell the reporter at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @dpharias on Twitter.

×