ASU men’s basketball to face UCONN in NIT

ASU then-sophomore forward Savon Goodman goes up for a layup against Cal in this photo from the 2014-15 season. Goodman is expected to play in ASU's 2015-16 season opener.

ASU sophomore forward Savon Goodman attempts a layup against Cal at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe on March 7. ASU won 74-70, and Goodman and Co. will be traveling to Brooklyn next season for the Legends Classic.  (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) ASU sophomore forward Savon Goodman attempts a layup against Cal at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe on March 7. ASU won 74-70, and Goodman and Co. will be traveling to Brooklyn next season for the Legends Classic. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

The ASU men’s basketball team will continue its season after accepting an invite from the NIT.

ASU (17-15, 9-9 Pac-12) earned the No. 5 seed in the NIT and begins the tournament at No. 4-seed UCONN (20-14) on Wednesday at 4 p.m. (ESPN2).

UCONN lost in the finals of the AAC Tournament to SMU, while the Sun Devils were eliminated in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament.

If ASU were to advance, it would either host St. Francis Brooklyn (23-11) or travel to Richmond (19-13).

ASU coach Herb Sendek has now qualified for two NCAA tournaments and four NITs in nine seasons.

The full NIT bracket is here.

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow@jjanssen11 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×