ASU sand volleyball heads to South Carolina Invitational

ASU sand volleyball members pose for a picture at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball.

Then-The ASU sand volleyball team is pictured at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Then-The ASU sand volleyball team is pictured at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

ASU sand volleyball (1-2) kicked off its season with a loss against Tulane (6-3), 3-2 and will have another chance to defeat the Green Waves at the South Carolina Invitational.

ASU will also play four other teams, all of which they have never played. It starts off the weekend against Florida State (5-3), South Carolina (7-2), Georgia State (8-1) and Carson-Newman. This could be a challenging weekend for the Sun Devils, as they have not played as many games as most of the teams, with Carson-Newman being the exception.

Freshman Sydney Palmer and sophomore Kizzy Willey are the pair to watch this weekend, as they remain the only two undefeated 3-0. They defeated LSU 21-12, 21-18, Tulane 21-11, 15-21, 15-8 and finished off the weekend with a third win against TCU 19-21, 21-7 and 15-5.

The pair with the second best performance last weekend were juniors Bianca Arellano and Macey Gardner who only lost to LSU 21-19, 27-29, 15-13 and defeated Tulane 18-21, 21-16, 15-5 and TCU 21-5, 21-6.

The rest of the pairs stand 1-2 only defeating one of the three teams last weekend. This is one of the biggest weekends for the team, second to the ASU Sand Volleyball Challenge in April.

The team will play five games this weekend starting on Friday; their schedule is as follows (times in Arizona time):

Friday:

1:15 p.m. — Florida State

7 p.m. — South Carolina

Saturday:

9:45 a.m. — Georgia State

3:30 p.m. — Carson-Newman

Sunday:

8 a.m. — Tulane

Reach the reporter atkewens@asu.eduor follow@katlynewenson Twitter.

LikeState Press Sportson Facebook or follow@statepresssporton Twitter.

×