ASU sand volleyball to start second season with Arizona Invitational

ASU sand volleyball members pose for a picture at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball.

Then-The ASU sand volleyball team is pictured at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Then-The ASU sand volleyball team is pictured at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

It's hard to believe it's sand volleyball season again.

The ASU sand volleyball team will kick off its second season ever at the Arizona Invitational in Tucson this weekend where the Sun Devils will play Tulane, LSU and TCU.

This will be the team's first time playing LSU and TCU, but ASU did defeat Tulane 3-2 last March, contributing to the team's 6-5 season finish. Their season last year was much shorter, with only six opponents compared to this season's 10.

Opponents are not the only things ASU has increased. The Sun Devils went from having 12 players last year to 17, adding seven and losing two. The additional players this season include freshmen Blair Robalin, Frances Giedraitis, Halle Harker and Sydney Palmer as well as sophomores Mia Rivera, Madison Berridge and Mia Mazon.

Seniors Nora Tuioti-Mariner and Shannan McCready will not be playing this season but did play for the indoor team this past fall. The majority of those on the sand volleyball team compete on both teams.

The Sun Devils went 6-5 during their first season last year and have many new players and opponents to look forward to. Their first two weekends will be away games and they will return home at the end of March.

They will start their season off this weekend in Tucson at the Arizona Invitational against Tulane, LSU, and TCU. On Friday they will start off against Tulane at 3 p.m. and then LSU at 5 p.m. On Saturday, ASU finishes the weekend up against TCU at 9 a.m.

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×