ASU softball clinches series over rival Arizona with dominant 9-4 victory

The Sun Devils gained a Territorial Cup point with the series win over the Wildcats on Saturday.

Freshman Brynley Steele celebrates after hitting a game-tying homerun in the bottom of the fifth inning against California at Farrington Stadium in Tempe  on Friday March 20, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Bears 8-7. (Jacob Stanek/ The State Press)
Freshman Brynley Steele celebrates after hitting a game-tying homerun in the bottom of the fifth inning against California at Farrington Stadium in Tempe on Friday March 20, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Bears 8-7. (Jacob Stanek/ The State Press)

The Territorial Cup belongs to Sun Devil softball once again.

In game two of three against No. 14 Arizona (27-9, 2-3 Pac-12), No. 21 ASU softball (23-10, 5-2 Pac-12) defeated its rival in dominant fashion and got themselves a Territorial Cup point to boot.

Freshman Dale Ryndak took the circle for ASU and pitched five innings, giving up six hits and four runs before being relieved by fellow freshman Breanna Macha.

The Sun Devils drew first blood in the top of the first inning, scoring a run on the RBI single by sophomore catcher Sashel Palacios.

The relentless attack continued from the ASU batters in the top of the third. Senior third baseman Haley Steele and junior second baseman Nikki Girard both notched a two-RBI single in the inning to put the Sun Devils ahead 5-0 over the Wildcats.

Arizona would not be denied in the bottom of the frame, however, as senior utility player Hallie Wilson crushed a solo home run to deep right field to cut the deficit down to four.

With a 5-1 advantage entering the fourth inning, Palacios continued her streak of photobombing interviews on Pac-12 Networks, this time with ASU head coach Craig Nicholson.

In the top of the fourth, the Sun Devils’ offense continued to have fun at the expense of their rivals. Sophomore shortstop Chelsea Gonzales hit a sac-fly to right that brought home a run to start things out, and then senior catcher Amber Freeman notched an RBI single to balloon the Sun Devil lead to 7-1

Palacios didn’t hit a bomb to go with her photobomb in the fourth, but she did get herself a single before the inning was over.

Arizona senior utility player Katiyana Mauga got a solo shot of her own in the bottom of the fourth, bringing the Wildcats back within five. The homer was the second of the day for Arizona, but Ryndak remained poised and retired the next three Wildcat batters in succession.

Redshirt senior shortstop Kellie Fox did not falter to the surging Ryndak in the fifth, smacking a two-RBI single to right to cut the Sun Devil lead down to 7-4.

In the top of the sixth, Freeman stepped up to the plate, saw the pitch she wanted, and crushed the 51st home run of her career.

Steele followed suit after Palacios popped out, hitting a solo shot to center to put her team on top 9-4.

Arizona had three outs to make up five runs in the seventh, but the Sun Devils’ lead proved too much for the Wildcats as the Sun Devils gained a full point in the Territorial Cup Series.

ASU now leads Arizona in the Territorial Cup by a score of 7.5-5.5 across all sports.

The Sun Devils will go for a sweep of their rivals on Sunday at 6 p.m. in Tucson.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×