ASU softball takes series over California with dominant 11-6 win

Senior Amber Freeman hits her 50th career home run Sunday afternoon, March 22, 2015, at Farrington Stadium against the California Golden Bears. ASU would go on to win the game and the series. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

Senior Amber Freeman hits her 50th career home run Sunday afternoon, March 22, 2015, at Farrington Stadium against the California Golden Bears. ASU would go on to win the game and the series. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) Senior Amber Freeman hits her 50th career home run Sunday afternoon, March 22, 2015, at Farrington Stadium against the California Golden Bears. ASU would go on to win the game and the series. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

Bring on the team from down south.

In the rubber match between No. 12 California (23-6, 2-4 Pac-12) and No. 21 ASU (22-10, 3-2 Pac-12), the Sun Devils prevailed 11-6 sparked by senior catcher Amber Freeman's 50th career home run.

Freshman Breanna Macha pitched the complete game for the Sun Devils, notching her 11th win after allowing nine hits and five earned runs to a dangerous California lineup.

Macha described her feelings on the mound during the 16th decision of her career.

"I felt very comfortable in the beginning," Macha said, "and then I kind of got flustered with the umpires."

Senior designated player Breana Kostreba ignited the California offense, notching an RBI single in the top of the second to put the Golden Bears up 1-0.

The third inning broke the offensive seal for the Sun Devils as they brought home three runs on four hits. ASU could have increased the margin past 3-1, but left three runners on base on a groundout by senior third baseman Haley Steele.

The fourth inning was a continuation of the Sun Devils' hot streak, as junior right fielder Sierra Rodriguez slammed a 2-run double down the right field line and increased the ASU lead to 5-1. It would have been 6-1 at that point, but junior center fielder Abby Spiel failed to touch the bag when rounding third base and was called out.

Sophomore shortstop Chelsea Gonzales and Freeman followed up with some offense of their own, notching an RBI double and RBI single respectively to balloon the lead to 7-1 in favor of the Sun Devils.

California freshman center fielder Jazmyn Jackson responded in the top of the fifth, crushing a 2-run double to right to reduce the deficit to 7-3.

A few Sun Devil miscues later, and another California run scored from second base, making it 7-4 ASU.

Cal got one run back in the sixth inning off a solo shot from freshman third baseman Taurie Pogue, but couldn't get anything else going from the nine and one spot.

Rodriguez continued her excellent outing in the bottom of the sixth for ASU, crushing a solo home run to right field that set off fireworks at Farrington both literally and figuratively.

But the firework operators weren't done yet, and neither were the Sun Devils. Freeman stepped up to the plate and crushed a two-run home run to left to give ASU a 10-5 lead as the crowd erupted. The homer was the 50th of Freeman's storied Sun Devil career.

Freeman got emotional when discussing the moment that her accomplishment was announced.

"I got chills," Freeman said. "It makes me teary eyed honestly. It's amazing."

To cap off an incredible sixth inning on offense, Steele got an RBI single to give ASU an 11-5 advantage.

Cal got a run back in the seventh on a solo home run by senior left fielder Cheyenne Cordes, but it needed five more to extend this game, which ended a convincing victory for the Sun Devils.

ASU head coach Craig Nicholson evaluated his team's performance in this pivotal Pac-12 series.

"I thought we really competed and battled," Nicholson said. "We did a very good job offensively this weekend. I thought our pitchers battled and we made some good plays defensively."

Nicholson discussed the significance of Amber Freeman's accomplishments as well.

"I think for me, for the players, you can always look back on (milestones)," Nicholson said. "But if you ask her, she's gonna tell you that getting the win today was more important than that."

ASU's next opponent will be rival Arizona in a three-game series in Tucson, with the first pitch of game one scheduled for 5 p.m. on Friday, March 27.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×