ASU spring football report: first scrimmage winners and losers

Who stood out (and who didn’t) from ASU’s first spring scrimmage on Saturday?

ASU sophomore running back Demario Richard dives forward as redshirt junior running back De'Chavon Hayes tries to strip the football during a drill at spring football practice in Tempe on March 17, 2015. (Fabian Ardaya/The State Press)

ASU coach Todd Graham was pleased with his team’s first scrimmage Saturday, saying in his post-practice media availability that his team was “undefeated.”

While the football program itself is without a loss in 2015, Saturday’s first scrimmage showed some clear separation in certain competitions and tightening in others.

Here are Saturday’s winners and losers:

Winner: The return of the Pat Tillman jerseys

After not making a single appearance at practice in 2014 (something Graham has since said probably shouldn’t have been the case), the Pat Tillman jersey made its initial 2015 appearance at Saturday’s scrimmage. Redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici became the first offensive player in program history to don the camouflage No. 42 jersey, and was joined redshirt senior defensive backs Lloyd Carrington and Jordan Simone in receiving the honor. The Tillman jersey honors players for their play on the football field in addition to their success as a “Scholar Baller” in the classroom and their participation in service throughout the community.

All three were also among those wearing the flame helmets, which Graham said marked players “you could win a Pac-12 championship with.” Bercovici, Carrington and Simone were joined in wearing the special helmets by senior center Nick Kelly, sophomore running backs Demario Richard, Jacom Brimhall and Kalen Ballage, redshirt sophomore linebacker Alani Latu, redshirt sophomore safety James Johnson and redshirt junior tight end Kody Kohl.

Video by Fabian Ardaya | Assistant Sports Editor

Loser: Insecurity along the offensive line

Graham decided to dial up the defensive pressure for the first time during the scrimmage, and while both sides of the football created explosive plays, the offensive line struggled at times. Once the offense reached the red zone, offensive coordinator Mike Norvell elected to test out some inside runs. The team struggled to get the ball in the end zone, as Richard, Ballage, redshirt junior running back De’Chavon Hayes and freshman running back Nick Ralston all couldn’t seem to find running lanes.

Graham said that the biggest problem with the offense Saturday came in protection from the offensive line.

“We started pressuring like we normally do and doing a little bit of game planning and stuff like that,” Graham said.

Winner: Redshirt senior cornerback Solomon Means

Less than a week after it appeared that Carrington and senior defensive back Kweishi Brown had locked down the two starting cornerback positions, Means has emerged as a potential star. Means and Brown split reps with the first team defense Saturday, with each putting together solid performances.

Graham said Means has passed Brown with his performance this spring.

“Solomon (Means) has kind of overtaken (Brown) for a few days and I think that’s just going to be an intense battle,” Graham said. “I think (Carrington, Brown and Means) have really separated themselves.”

Winner/Loser: Special Teams

Winner: Kickoff returns, field goal kicking

ASU struggled in the return game in 2014 before Ballage broke a 96-yard kickoff return in the fourth quarter of the Sun Bowl, but the addition of special teams coach Shawn Slocum the Sun Devils were brimming with explosive plays.

Ballage was the star yet again, adding two a pair of long runs with two explosive kickoff returns. On the second, Ballage split the coverage and cut across midfield, nearly juking Jordan Simone out of his shoes before Simone tracked him down near the opponent’s 20-yard line. “Gump” Hayes added on to that total with a long run of his own, splitting a gap before taking the ball down the right side for the easy score.

“Kalen (Ballage) just was powerful today,” Graham said. “He ran over the linebacker on one run, drug him 10 yards. Another play he drug him 20 yards.”

Graham said he was pleased with the explosiveness in the return game.

“The return games were really explosive today with Kalen (Ballage) and (senior wide receiver D.J. Foster) and Gump (Hayes),” he said.

Field goal kicking was also a plus for the Sun Devils on special teams, as each snap went off without a hitch and junior kicker Zane Gonzalez made all but one of his field goal attempts.

Losers: Kickoff coverage, punting

While the kickoff returns team went off for some explosive plays on Saturday, it was not without some assistance from some shoddy play from the kick coverage. With Slocum installing a new special teams system, the Sun Devils experienced more than their fair share of growing pains.

“The special teams are still not anywhere close…(special teams) coach (Shawn) Slocum is nowhere even remotely close to being pleased,” Graham said. “We’re learning how to do special teams differently.”

Punting was also an issue for ASU, as junior punter Matt Haack was inconsistent with his play. On one punt, he would direct the punt well and pin the returners into the corners. On others, he would shank the ball or pin the ball up in position for the returners to make big gains.

Winner: Sophomore running back Jacom Brimhall

The biggest star (and biggest surprise) of Saturday’s session was the play of Brimhall, who was the best and brightest of many reserves who starred during the scrimmage. The 5-foot-6, 177 pound running back was stellar in the return game and made a name for himself in splitting carries with Ralston on the third-team offense. On one notable play with the second-teamers, redshirt freshman quarterback Manny Wilkins found Brimhall on a wheel route while rolling right, going for arguably the best play of the afternoon.

The stellar play drew high praise from Graham.

“The guy who has stuck out to me (this spring) is Brimhall,” he said.

Brimhall did not see the field during the 2014 season, and has been projected by many to do the same thing in 2015. With more performances like Saturday, Brimhall may be able to shed the “undersized” label and make an impact in game action.

“I think he could be a real player (for us,)” Graham said. “He’s got to bring it every day.”

Brimhall was honored with the flame helmet, a rare occurrence for a non-starter.

“It’s an incredible honor, especially because Kalen (Ballage) and (Demario Richard) had them as well,” Brimhall said. “For me to be looked at as coachable and working with those guys, it means a lot to me.”

Brimhall said he recognizes the tag given to him as being undersized, and has worked to overcome it.

“I’m not the biggest guy or anything like that, so work ethic — that’s pretty much all I have,” he said. “I focus on being everything that I can for this team and coaches will make the decision based on everything else.”

ASU returns to the practice field on Tuesday, March 31 at Kajikawa Practice Field.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×