ASU women's basketball earns No. 3 seed, to face Ohio in NCAA tournament

ASU junior Sun Devil Elisha Davis stretches for another Sun Devil basket in the second half of Sunday's game. The Sun Devils won their 26th game on March 1, 2015, at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

ASU junior Sun Devil Elisha Davis stretches for another Sun Devil basket in the second half of Sunday's game. The Sun Devils won their 26th game on March 1, 2015, at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) ASU junior Sun Devil Elisha Davis stretches for another Sun Devil basket in the second half of Sunday's game. The Sun Devils won their 26th game on March 1, 2015, at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

ASU women’s basketball will play host to the opening round of the NCAA tournament. The Sun Devils nabbed the third seed in the Greensboro bracket, placing them in the same region as national powerhouse South Carolina (30-2).

No. 9 ASU (27-5) finished the season with the highest AP ranking in the Pac-12, one spot ahead of Oregon State. Unsurprisingly, the two have the highest seeds in the tournament for any Pac-12 school.

ASU will play against the No. 14-seed Ohio on Saturday. The Bobcats went 27-4 and won the MAC tournament. Despite the strong record, Ohio’s strength of schedule was relatively weak. None of its victories came against opponents that are currently ranked.

Ohio is led by the backcourt tandem of junior Kiyanna Black and sophomore Quiera Lampkins. Black led the team in points (16.1) and Lampkins pulled in the most rebounds (6.8). The two average about 28 minutes per game.

If ASU can advance, they’ll take on the winner of Texas A&M and University of Arkansas, Little Rock on Monday.

Beyond that, ASU will likely have to defeat No. 7 Florida St. (second seed) and then No. 3 South Carolina (first seed) if it hopes to advance to the Final Four and play in Tampa.

Reach the reporter at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×