Hashsnap app allows users to connect through themed photos

(Photo courtesy of Hashsnap)
(Photo courtesy of Hashsnap)

(Photo courtesy of Hashsnap) (Photo courtesy of Hashsnap)

In an ever-growing digital age, finding a unique way to connect with people in the area can be a challenge, but a new app called Hashsnap is looking to create a way to relate.

Hashsnap is one of the newest phone applications to debut on ASU’s Tempe campus. Dori Yona, one of Hashsnap’s three co-founders, said the app allows users to connect through shared experiences.

“Hashsnap is an app that changes the way people meet by matching based on photos that show off personality and not just appearance,” Yona said in an email. “Every day is a new daily theme, and you can only upload live snaps relevant to that daily theme.”

To provide users with a unique and fun experience, Hashsnap refreshes every 24 hours with a new daily theme, such as #SpringBreakFever and #ActiveLife. Users take photos through the app and can browse through other photos under the same hashtag.

In the app, users can also browse the photos of other people in the area, based on filters they have chosen.

Hashsnap originally launched in Israel before coming to campuses in the U.S., such as ASU and UA. Last November, the app won first place during the annual YourStartApp startup competition, which took place on the Google campus in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Yona grew up in Silicon Valley before moving to Israel at 13. It was there where he met Oded Vakrat, one of Hashsnap's co-founders, while training for the Naval Officer's Program.

In order to promote the app, Yona said they have been working with local campus reps to come up with unique methods tailored to the students on campus.

For its launch on UA's campus, the Hashsnap team gained more than 1,000 users by hosting four parties, handing out free Starbucks drinks and visiting fraternities and sororities.

In true ASU fashion, Yona and his team catered to students with none other than an exclusive pool party — in February. One of the most successful party promoters on campus, Luis Basilio, sent out tweets about the app to his nearly 5,000 followers.

“Spring break is here, #HashSnap your week via @hashsnapme. DOWNLOAD the App ASAP!” was just one of Basilio’s tweets.

Basilio said the app is unique because it offers users a wider range of attractions.

"Instead of liking profiles based off biased opinions like nice abs or a pretty face, users can finally like a person's profile based on personality and lifestyles," Basilio said.

The marketing campaign through Twitter reached audiences across Arizona. One Grand Canyon University student, whose Twitter handle is @PhillipGolds, tweeted "SPRING BREAKERS! Download HASHSNAP to post pics of what you're doing this spring break!!!"

While Hashsnap is not marketed as a dating app, Yona said users can use the app for romantic purposes.

“This gives you a true sense of who the person really is in addition to outer appearance,” Yona said. “You can anonymously like someone, and if they like you back, there is a connection. You can then chat and stay up to date through daily snaps.”

Yona said the app offers users a unique way to share their personality through technology, which is not an easy feat.

“We want to give our users a safe, fun and authentic way to meet people around them,” Yona said. “All the apps that try to do this nowadays either expect you to judge others based on appearance alone or expect you to put your personality into words. At Hashsnap, we want you to be yourself and show your true personality through photos and, in the future, videos.”

While Hashsnap is only available on Apple devices, Yona said Android users will soon have access to access the app.

Vakrat could not be reached for comment by the time of publication.

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or follow @SuerthJessica on Twitter.

×