Netflix Alternatives: 'Get Hard' and 'Home'

(Photo courtesy of NALA Films)
(Photo courtesy of NALA Films)

Imagine this: Friday rolls around, and you decide you want to go to the movies. There’s only one problem. You look up the week’s new releases, and none of them strike your fancy. Feeling disappointed, you open Netflix and scroll endlessly trying to find something that grabs your attention.

Each week, reporter Shane Weinstein takes a look at what major motion pictures are hitting theaters and offers suggestions of alternate films to take in on Netflix. Here are his alternatives for the week of March 27, 2015.

(Photo courtesy of NALA Films) (Photo courtesy of NALA Films)

New This Week: “Get Hard” (Starring Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart)

Netflix Alternative: “Case de mi Padre” (2012, starring Will Ferrell and Diego Luna)

This week sees legendary comedic talents Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart take the screen together in longtime screenwriter Ethan Cohen’s directorial debut “Get Hard.”

Ferrell stars as a businessman who is wrongfully accused of tax evasion and faces incarceration. Enter Hart’s character Darnell, who Ferrell’s James wrongfully assumes is a convict and hires to help him toughen up for his stint in prison.

If Ferrell’s latest sounds like more of the same, check out the comedian’s 2012 Spanish flick “Casa de mi Padre.”

Even for those who are not fans of Ferrell, the film makes for an amusing take on the tropes found in Spanish cinema, and it’s hard not to admire the comedian’s dedication and outside the box effort.

New This Week: “Home” (Starring the voices of Jim Parsons, Steve Martin and Rihanna)

Netflix Alternative: “Mr. Peabody and Sherman” (2014, starring the voices of Ty Burrell and Max Charles)

This week’s other new release is DreamWorks Animation’s latest film “Home.” The film, which is an adaptation of the 2007 children’s book "The Meaning of Smekday," follows an alien named Oh who comes to Earth after being banished by the rest of his race.

If the juvenile humor displayed in the trailer does not catch your attention, check out last years criminally underrated “Mr. Peabody and Sherman.”

Based upon a series of shorts from the “Rocky and Bullwinkle Show,” the film stars Ty Burrell as the voice of the talking genius Mr. Peabody - who just so happens to be a dog.

When his son Sherman discovers a time machine, a journey throughout history takes place.

The film is an incredibly fun affair for the whole family that is sure to make viewers happy they saved money and watched it instead of for over their hard earned money for a film who’s results may differ.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to check back next week when I’ll have alternates for “The Woman In Gold” and “Furious 7.”

Contact this reporter at seweinst@asu.edu or on Twitter: @S_Weinstein95

×