ASU men's basketball's Shaquielle McKissic named Pac-12 Player of the Week

Shaquielle McKissic- basketball

Senior forward Shaquielle McKissic steals the ball and brings it back down to the Sun Devil rim against Cal on Saturday, March 7, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Golden Bears 74-70. 

Senior forward Shaquielle McKissic steals the ball and brings it back down to the Sun Devil rim against Cal on Saturday, March 7, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Golden Bears 74-70. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) Senior forward Shaquielle McKissic steals the ball and brings it back down to the Sun Devil rim against Cal on Saturday, March 7, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Golden Bears 74-70. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

The Pac-12 conference announced ASU men's basketball senior forward Shaquielle McKissic was named the conference's player of the week for March 2-7 on Monday..

McKissic was instrumental in getting ASU two wins over the week, which pushed the Sun Devils to the No. 5 seed in the Pac-12 Tournament.

He led the Sun Devils in scoring with 21 points against Cal and 23 against Stanford. He also averaged seven rebounds and three steals in the two games, while shooting 53.6 percent from the field and 84.6 percent from the line.

It's the first weekly winner for ASU this season and McKissic's first time winning it.

Pac-12 season awards

Additionally, the Pac-12 announced its postseason awards on Monday and the Sun Devils were not well-represented.

No Sun Devils were named to the All-Pac-12 First Team (10 players), the second team (five), or the defensive team, though McKissic was an honorable mention on the last two.

Freshman guard Tra Holder dribbles the ball in a game against UCLA on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Bruins 68-66. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Freshman guard Tra Holder dribbles the ball in a game against UCLA on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Bruins 68-66. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

However, point guard Tra Holder earned a spot on the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team. Holder averaged 7.1 points, 2 rebounds and 3.6 assists on 32.1 percent shooting in 2014-15.

When fellow freshman point guard Kodi Justice went down with an injury, Holder had to step up. In the 11 games without Justice, Holder averaged 10.8 points, 2.6 rebounds and 4.9 assists on 36 percent shooting.

Here is the list of Pac-12 awards:

Player of the Year: Joseph Young, Oregon

Freshman of the Year: Stanley Johnson, Arizona

Defensive Player of the Year: Gary Payton II, Oregon State

Most Improved Player: Josh Hawkinson, Washington State

Coach of the Year: Dana Altman, Oregon

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×