Tempe Police: Man reaches into pocket for ID, drops cocaine

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 53-year-old Mesa man was arrested March 20 at South Evergreen Road and East University Drive on suspicion of narcotic drug possession, according to the report.

An officer observed a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe traveling eastbound on University Drive, which was blocked off by three traffic barricades at the time, police reported.

The man was driving around traffic, traveling past the barricades and continued driving eastbound, police reported.

When the officer contacted the driver and asked for his driver’s license, the man reached into his pocket and a small, plastic-wrapped ball filled with cocaine fell out, according to the report. 

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 30-year-old Tempe man was arrested March 21 at the 2000 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

The man was spotted hiding things on his person at a Walgreens store, but he removed them before officers arrived on the scene, police reported.

The officer searched the man’s bag after he claimed he didn’t steal anything and pulled out a piece of aluminum foil, which the man then attempted to conceal and throw away, according to the report. 

The officer spotted the man throwing the aluminum in the trash, opened the foil and found burnt drug residue, which the man told police was his mother’s Percocet, police reported.

Officers also found a pen which appeared to have been cut in half, with burnt residue on the end as well, according to the report. 

The man was not read his Miranda rights because he began screaming he had pancreatitis and he needed his medication; however, he wouldn’t provide details on the medication, according to the report. 

During transportation to jail, the man continued to scream, make sounds like he was vomiting and snoring, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×