Tempe Police: Man with expired marijuana card caught with weed, cocaine

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

A 47-year-old Tempe man was arrested on suspicion of marijuana and narcotic drug possession on March 14 at the 1600 block of East Apache Boulevard, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man because he was sitting in the driver's seat of a parked car, backed into a parking spot near an apartment in an area police identified as high-crime, police reported.

The arresting officer said he smelled marijuana coming from the vehicle, according to the report.

A K-9 officer got a positive alert, police reported.

The man told police he had an expired medical marijuana card, but had an application in his car for a new card, according to the report. Police found the paperwork for an updated card inside the vehicle, police reported.

The man told police that he was only supposed to have two and a half ounces of marijuana on him at a time, police reported.

Police searched the car and his pocket and found a usable amount of marijuana and a powder substance later identified as cocaine, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending the drug charges, police reported.

A 26-year-old Mesa man was arrested March 14 at the 900 block of North College Avenue on suspicion of reporting a wrong name to officers, having an outstanding warrant and possessing dangerous drugs, marijuana and drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man after he was seen riding his bicycle against the flow of traffic, police reported.

Police said upon contact, he provided an incorrect last name and birth date, records show.

A records check revealed there was an outstanding warrant for the man out of Scottsdale, police reported.

Police then searched the man's backpack, where they found a methamphetamine pipe and a usable amount of marijuana, according to the report. Police also searched an eyeglass case inside the backpack, where they found multiple glass pipes and two plastic bags with a crystal substance that was later confirmed to be meth, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Corina Vanek.

Reach the reporter at cvanek@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @CorinaVanek.

×