ASU baseball routed by Arizona in Territorial Cup finale

The No. 6 Sun Devils were blown out in Tucson on Tuesday night.

tracy smith asu arizona baseball

Head coach Tracy Smith meets on the mound with junior pitcher David Graybill after Graybill walked the bases loaded in the second inning of ASU baseball's game at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson against Arizona. 

In a game that outlasted the Godfather by nearly a half hour, No. 6 ASU baseball dropped its final matchup in Tucson to rival Arizona 17-6.

Of the 23 runs scored Tuesday, the Sun Devils (28-13, 13-5 Pac-12) somehow managed to score the first two, and held a lead for a half inning after junior center fielder Johnny Sewald singled and senior left fielder Jake Peevyhouse doubled him home.

An RBI groundout by sophomore third baseman David Greer gave ASU its first and only advantage of the night in the box score – aside from the positive error margin – as the Wildcats (25-17, 9-12 Pac-12) made five errors to ASU's one.

It's tough enough to beat the top hitting team in the country when they pound out 20 hits. 

Facing a Wildcat squad that is now 9-0 when scoring 10 or more runs, ASU allowed a season-high nine runs through the first three innings. 

You'd be hard pressed to find a game this season that the Sun Devils have fully let a game get out of hand – and might go as far as to call it a low point. 

Freshman first baseman JJ Matijevic (grand slam in the first inning) and sophomore third baseman Bobby Dalbec (three-run home run in the fifth) combined for 13 RBIs in the rout. 

Junior second baseman Scott Kingery hit a solo home run in the fifth, his fourth of the season.

ASU has searched for a consistent midweek presence since promoting sophomore Seth Martinez, and didn't quite find that from freshman Ryan Hingst in his third start of the year. 

The Sun Devils used seven different pitchers, including junior Jordan Aboites, who appeared at shortstop in place of Colby Woodmansee in the seventh.

A pair of rarely-used relievers in senior right-hander Eric Melbostad and freshman right-hander Grant Schiender also contributed an inning of relief. 

The staff combined for seven walks and two-hit-by pitches. The walk total was one shy of a season-high set last week in Tucson.

Sophomore catcher Zach Cerbo started in place of Brian Serven, who was out with an unspecified injury.

ASU travels to Berkeley for a Pac-12 series with California beginning Friday, May 1 at 7 p.m.

Reach the reporter at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×